much fear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAYBE PUT A 50LBS WEIGHT ON YOUR BCD AND JUST STAY UNDER...:D

hi Mary,

(I didn't read this whole thread so I apologize if someone else has mentioned this)

I'm very new as well, and had the same problem of involuntarily popping to the surface at 15/20 feet. The person I was diving with suggested that I start dumping air from the BC earlier, at 25/30 feet or so, when ascending. It worked like a charm. So you may still have too much air in your BC when you reach the shallow depths on your ascents.

Three years old but still good information.

By the way, since Mary started this post over three years ago, does anyone know if she fixed the problem and kept diving. Hope so.......

I find that many new divers start to inflate their bc when they start their move to the surface. Do NOT add air. Just start dumping a bit at a time as you asend and you will find that you will soon be able to just hover at any level you want.

When you decend remember that you will have to add a bit as you go after you have dumped at the surface.

Dump on the asent, add on the decent, and just a quick small burst at a time. New divers use the anchor line as an aid, and always dive within your limits.

Back
Top Bottom