much fear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Both my wife and I use a harness system mostly these days. I've found the Bowstone harness particularly good. UK manufacturer.
The weights are retained by a heavy Velcro flap and each pouch kept within its outers by two similar flaps.
Yellow ripcords with toggles provide an emergency jettisoning system, each side independent of the other
Works well, though, when inverted, there is tendency for the harness to slip. Distributes weight nicely over the hips.

Hi Mary:

When I started diving I was wearing 36 pounds plus two sets of ankle weights just to get off the surface. It was very frustrating for me. I nearly quit. In fact, on my first open water test dive I left the water with a trail of gear trailing behind me saying "that's it". My instructor followed me out and said put it back on or we're going to be here a long time. I got back in the water and it has taken me two seasons but I am down to 18 pounds total now and much more relaxed. They kept telling me that as soon as I relaxed I would be able to drop the weight. And they were right. Every time I used to hit the 15-20 foot depth my feet wanted to come up first. I soon learned that on a wreck all I had to do was wrap my feet around the drop line and I would come up straight. I'm a little more than middle aged and I can't think of anything I would rather do than dive. It gets better every dive! Hang in and keep diving and see if you can find a local club. The clubs I am involved with always make sure you have an experienced diver with a novice. The best move I made for weight was to ditch the weight belt and get an integrated weight bcd. The people on the boat reach down, grab the quick releases on the integrated weights and take them so I can easily climb back into the boat on my own.

Mary Snyder once bubbled...
You people are just amazing!! I can't tell you how much it means to me as a new diver to know that others actually go through all this same stuff. I thought it could be that I am just to old to do new games!! You give me support to continue!!!
I will locate a Padi shop and definately take the bouyancy control course. I would love to do it in warm water, but since I live in No. CA probably won't find it. I am planning a trip this fall, so hopefully can do it then.
Thank you all for giving of your time and knowledge!!
Mary

Don't Worry It's Normal. Their Are Alot Of People Out Their Like You. I Was Like That At First. All You Need Is A Little Practise :).

You have gotten lots of good advice here, and the good news is that it is all consistent!

Perhaps first and foremost, you need to relax. The only way to really relax is to be comfortable, and the only way to become comfortable is to dive more.

When I first started (and that was only a couple years ago) I had the same exact problems that you describe. When I was trying to do a safety stop, I had trouble staying down sometimes. Part of that was the fact that I instinctively was kicking my fins. Part might have been the weight also, but part was nervous breathing. I was keeping too much air in, and it made me more bouyant. When I finally got more comfortable, and relaxed, I wasn't as bouyant.

When I started I had a real hard time descending. Part of it was the air trapped in my wetsuit, and part was the nervous breathing again. The biggest, stupidest part was this: as an instinctive move, every time I wanted to descend, I would take a huge deep breath of air. That is what you do when you are just simply swimming (or maybe snorkeling) and you want to go under water. For scuba it is exactly wrong. Once I realized, I was able to control the urge. I don't need a big lungfull of air when I descend, as I have a source on my back. Now I simply exhale deeply, and it is a lot easier to descend. No more working really hard to get under.

A friend of mine has trouble descending because she always wears a hood. Once she found that the hood collects air, she has found that if she smushes the air out of her hood when she descends, it makes it a lot easier.

Anyway, these are just some other things to consider. The other advice was all good, but these were just some things that I have seen or experienced that no one else mentioned. I hope it helps.

Relax, dive within your limits, get more comfortable and relax, then expand your limits as you get more comfortable. The cycle si great!

my dos centavos, and only because you asked,

Wristshot

PS: OKron, my buddy had trouble with a weight belt so he bought the DUI weight harness. He couldn't get a weight belt to ride right; it was always falling down (no hips). He absolutely loves it. He has some weight in the integrated pouches of his Ranger, and a bunch in the DUI. It works rgeat for him.

Did you happen to notice that you have responded to threads that are about 3 years old?

Nice thought I'd point it out to you that you really won't be getting any answers from the original posters. Just the occasional wandering Regulator... :wink:

SubMariner once bubbled...
Did you happen to notice that you have responded to threads that are about 3 years old?

Nice thought I'd point it out to you that you really won't be getting any answers from the original posters. Just the occasional wandering Regulator... :wink:

Thanx For The Info SubMariner. :)

I hadn't seen this particular thread either - I suppose some topics are timeless enough to stand a little resurrection from time to time. As long as one isn't hoping for a reply, that is. :wink:

This the only reasonable advice I can give: practice....practice.....practice.........and when you feel confident..........practice again. Practice in the pool, practice at the beach....and when you are actually diving, keep practicing. Before you know it you'll be a pro, but in order to do that you'll have to, yes I know you know but I'll say it anyways, practice. Practice until you make every move and technique you were taught your second nature. :wink:

I'm a rookie diver, still waiting to dive post-OW certification.

I found this thread to be greatly informative, and very reassuring.

Thanks for pulling it back to the front of the line.

okron...isnt that a bit to much weight? I weight 170lbs and i use 20-22lbs in salt water with a 5/7mm suit, booties,gloves, hood etc with an alum 80. and 50 in class...thats crazy! :) dont sink buddy.

Mary..Im sure you will learn to control your bouyancy over time, it takes alot of practice and im sure if you try you will get ahold of the talent. enjoy the underwater world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom