Multiple nosebleeds = doctor checkup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jack Scuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Did more than 40 dives with no nosebleeds and then they started on every dive. At first I thought it was just the typical blood vessel breakage. Had it on my to do list to see a doctor for a referral to get it cauterized, but the first time I went the doctor recommended nasonex to see if that resolved the issue (he mentioned it would cause more nosebleeds initially). With that in mind I followed his advice for the summer with limited success. Wasn't a huge issue so I didn't bother going back right away, but with a couple of big dive vacations in the next two months with multiple dives per day I figured I should push the issue.

Went to a new doctor and after explaining the situation and explaining that it wasn't due to excessive decent speed he took a look. Turns out there are multiple polyps deep within the nasal cavity. So in two weeks I am going to an ENT doctor to have more exploration done and then I am under the knife (laser actually).

I am quite happy that it has been found early on, but I am kicking myself for not forcing the issue earlier with my previous doctor.

I don't normally share personal info like this, but I just wanted a record of 'what-if's regarding nosebleeds. If someone has gotten a couple of small nosebleeds over 3 or 4 dives I'd say it was nothing. In my case it was minor amounts of blood but it was on pretty much every dive. And I should have gone back to the doctor after his first attempt failed.

In previous threads the 'go see a doctor' advice has gotten swamped with the work on your diving advice.

I know of people with similar problems - on the surface it causes problems with the sense of smell but this was corrected with fairly simple surgery to remove the polyps. Nosebleeds were not uncommon and the tiny blood vessels in the nose are easy to pop without subjecting them to 30 metres (4 atm / 60 psi (approx)) worth of pressure. I mean you put 30psi (2 bar, ish) in your car tyres... and you're putting tiny wee breakable bloodvessels under double the pressure with added polyps.

As always, with diving relaterd problems, seek a doctor with training in diving medicine.

Cheers

Crowley

I used to be quite a sight coming out of the water with a mask full of blood and it smeared on my face.
I had sinus surgery to remove polyps and remove the sinus disease. I was the best thing I've every done. No more bloody noses plus I can taste and smell!

Back
Top Bottom