Music trivia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, I'll answer my own question. It was a great show! If you grew up in the 60s (and can remember it), seeing and listening to this show brings back floods of memories. If you can get a ticket, I'd recommend it highly!

XJae once bubbled...
I was going to ask you how it was.
Well, since you asked, here's a more detailed review:

It was a fantastic concert. They got just about every hit you could think of ("Sound of Silence", "Scarborough Fair/Canticle", "I Am a Rock", "Mrs. Robinson", "Homeward Bound", "The Boxer", "My Little Town", "America", "At the Zoo", "The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)")and then some ("Old Friends", "Keep the Customers Satisfied", "Baby Driver", "The Only Living Boy in New York"). If you knew my tastes, for artists that I know real well (Beatles, Kingston Trio, Si & Garf, Frank Sinatra, Jim Croce [the list goes on and gets stranger and more eclectic], etc.), I could almost do without the hits and go straight to the obscure stuff (although you could argue that the Beatles had no obscure songs), but it was fine last night.

Art talked about how they met in 6th grade when they were 11 and how this was the 50th anniversary of their friendship. Paul said they met when they were 11, started singing together when they were 13 and had their first argument when they were 14, so this is the 47th anniversary of their arguing.

They did “Hey Schoolgirl” which they recorded at 16 under the names “Tom and Jerry”, they talked about how they were trying to sound like their idols, The Everly Brothers. They then brought out Don and Phil who sang 4 songs (“Wake up, Little Suzy”, “All I Have to Do Is Dream” (complete with mirror ball—just like at the prom), “Let It Be Me”, and as a foursome “Bye, Bye, Love”, which S&G had recorded on their "Bridge..." album). Nice touch, although I thought someone could have mentioned the passing of Bobby Hatfield (of The Righteous Brothers) the night before.

Anyway, almost no more talking, just singing. My favorite of the lesser-known, “Kathy’s Song”, and Art did say that he wished they hadn’t broken up before having had a chance to sing “American Tune” (from Paul's second solo album) which he did a great job on. “Bridge over Troubled Waters” was probably the most moving song of the night, as you might expect.

No baseball cap for Paul, he must be comfortable with his hair loss. One noticeable thing (at least to me), is how muscular his forearms are (obviously from guitar playing, but impressive indeed).

Again, a great show (two hours exactly, no intermission, 2 encores)—one of the best I’ve ever seen.

Oops, I forgot the scuba tie-in:

The big screen display showed Dustin Hoffman as Benjamin Braddock in full scuba gear in a scene from The Graduate (to the strains of "Mrs. Robinson").

They played the garden last night and are there again tonight.
Unfortunately I'm home fighting off a bad sinus infection.

You said it was one of the best you've ever seen.
Just curious what some of your favorite shows were?

XJae once bubbled...
Just curious what some of your favorite shows were?
OK, but only if you promise not to laugh (keeping in mind that I'm an old guy who favors music from the 60s and earlier :)), some of my favorite concert performances:
  • Paul Simon. Just before the Rhymin' Simon album came out. [Had great seats: dead center 2nd row.]
  • Bob Dylan. At a concert with him, Van Morrison, and Joni Mitchell, Dylan was by far the high point.
  • Loggins & Messina, Linda Ronstadt, and The Eagles. Oakland Colessium, One of Bill Graham's Day on the Green events.
  • Bob Gibson & Hamilton Camp. A couple of old Folkies from the 60s.
  • John Stewart (not the guy from Comedy Central). Another folk singer and former member of The Kingston Trio at that time on his own.
  • John Sebastian. After his Lovin' Spoonful days, but long before "Welcome Back".
  • Cleo Laine. Jazz vocalist extraordinaire.
  • Andrea Marcovicci. Cabaret icon currently appearing in the Oak Room at the Algonquin Hotel in Manhattan.
And, without a doubt, the worst concert I ever attended, Yanni (don't ask, hard as I tried, I just couldn't get out of it :().

Right. Just wanted to make sure someone else was still reading.

Maybe a little obscure, but here it is:

Hooray I am late from yesterday
alive but the war is here to stay
so my love Katherina and me
desire to take a last walk
through the noise to the sea
not to die but to be reborn
away from the land so battered and torn
forever

Back
Top Bottom