Music While Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of my favorite dive operators will not allow music or anything but a Marine Required radio on the dive boat. He says when divers are in the water he wants the boat crew with no distractions, alert and watching for divers in trouble. I feel a heap safer diving from his boat because of it. I was impressed on a dive I sat out, he knew where all his divers were and even knew which divers in some cases. He knew from the bubbles about current and had a mermaid line ready to throw when he saw a couple divers were ascending and were going to get caught in cross currents!
Sounds like a model operator

I go diving for peace and quiet I don't want music and if I do want music I will hum a song from time to time but that is it
I also find when I get anxious humming a ton helps me get grounded again

Different strokes for different folks and I'm not going to suggest that divers who wish to do so with music don't. However, that stops as soon as a dive operator pumps music out underwater for all to hear. I prefer The Silent World (which, not surprisingly, is hardly silent). I dive to experience the totality of the marine environment. I sit at my computer or in my easy chair top experience music topside. Just my personal preference.

The sounds underwater are part of the experience for me: a tool for orientation and safety, and a way to interact with the environment.

I wear a dry hood and find that I can hear everything. It adds another, wonderful dimension to diving. Music would destroy that magic.

That said, surfacing to a live band or busker playing right onshore is a fun way to end the dive. : )

Some folks apparently do use them for deco. An audiobook for 90 mins sitting on a log isn't a bad idea, esp. if you have sat 90min on that same a log dozens of times.

I've read several very good reviews about Audioflood's waterproof iPod shuffle. Best price seems to be through Amazon.com. I want one for swimming laps but haven't had the extra cash yet.

Last edited:
I use the underwater headset underwater SOMETIMES. I rather like listing to Led Zep or Pink Floyd Dark side on the Moon on a scooter and basting thru the water. Ted. Nugget...I might try that. I also enjoy whale song as well as the natural sounds underwater.

I have never heard whales but I like a little music on the dive boat however when you get a large group together it can be hard to find something everyone can enjoy. If I was diving from my personal boat I wouldnt mind a little music in the water.

An underwater alert noise for recall could work well for safety.

Another example of humans' desire, willingness, and ability to screw up the perfect and pristine environments that we were blessed with on our Earth. To me, one of the magical joys of diving is listening to nothing but the sounds of nature and my own breathing. Exceptions of course for sounds contributing to safety and recall.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom