Muskies vs. Baracuda?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, folks,

This may sound a little Txas'ish but-----There was a time when we used to have an annual Alligator Gar Rodeo at Lake Bistino, actually in Louisianna. It was called the ArkLaTex Gar Rodeo. It was held in the middle of Deccember every year and was colder than H---!!.. The purpose of to help clear the lake of an overabundance of game fish eating predators. Anyway, it was a tournament, prizes based on aggregate weight. Alligator Gar hybernate and stack themselvesx up like cordwood in cold water. These are very large fish with solid weights. Couple of people got incidental nicks from the fish but no agressive attacks or anything that could have been implied to be an attack.

PS--There are catfish in South America, Paraguay in Particular that exceed 200 lbs. I have eaten them and watched the locals fish for them. Not very sporting. The bait is suspended from a small tree or overgrowth on the river. When the big fish gets on the tree serves as a big fishing pole. Then the locals make a line to the suspended line and pull the fish out with a truck or four wheel drive vehicle. Fun, huh? Anyway, that' how they catch them to sell commercially. If I recall, the fish is called a "Surumi" locally. Ain't diving great??

Saltwater crocks can be easily found if you head to the very south-southwest tip of FL, a tiny "town" called Flamingo.
Has a ranger station, campground, dock...
No diving to speak of though.

Muskies are interesting; I was "tormenting" a little 3 footer, tickeling it's tail when I caught view of a BIG sucker just behind me off my elbow watching the mischief making. I opted to keep my hands to myself after that. 3 footers are often lunch for their big brothers up there.

Had some big critters bump my legs when wandering around on the bottom of the Mississippi River, probably catfish.
Gotta love that blackwater diving; if you could see, you wouldn't want to go back in. :wink:

I agree, jetskiis are Much more dangerous than any marine critters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom