Must Dive in Florida Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive the upper Keys at least once a year with Conch Republic divers, and always dive the Speigel Grove, Duane, Bibb and Eagle. This year I'm adding Benwood to the list. There's not a bad reef in the upper Keys, either.

Honestly, you will find that many of us will say that Key West diving really sucks. Dive the Vandy and enjoy Cayo Hueso's many drinking establishments afterward.

thats only if you dont know where to go:D:D

yes the bouyed reefs off KW are now mostly bleached white walls,but......west of KW 12 miles is a sea mount that rises up from 120fsw to 45 fsw on the plateau. this area called "the Bar" is full of caves and coral rock outcroppings. you will see 10,00 fish a dive on top the Bar. Contac Steve Moore who funs a 6 pac cat Mobile Diver. he works some @ subtropic also

Attachments

• sponge.JPG
    sponge.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 43
Good stuff.

A reef I have only snorkeled and would love to dive is Looe Key. It's maybe 30 miles from Key West, so a short drive up to a dive shop for the usual 7 mile ride out. I'd take that one over the reefs I've seen in KW.

Night dives are on a "well if we get 6 to 8 people we'll go out" basis. You'll probably have to call the shops each afternoon.

thats only if you dont know where to go:D:D

yes the bouyed reefs off KW are now mostly bleached white walls,but......west of KW 12 miles is a sea mount that rises up from 120fsw to 45 fsw on the plateau. this area called "the Bar" is full of caves and coral rock outcroppings. you will see 10,00 fish a dive on top the Bar. Contac Steve Moore who funs a 6 pac cat Mobile Diver. he works some @ subtropic also

I was recently on Steve's cat though not in the area you discuss. He runs a top notch operation. I would highly recommend Mobile Divers to anyone interested in a private charter trip.

Depends on your experience.

If you have no deepish open water experience I wouldn't recommend the deep wrecks. Lots of other great options including:

North North Dry Rocks
Carysfort
Drift Conch Wall
Small Critters on Little Conch or Snapper Ledge
Aquarium (patch reef south of Tavernier)

I could go on forever. But If you do hit the Duane on the right day you might see something like this.

DSC_2450+copy.jpg

for the Spiegel fans.

DSC_0025+copy.jpg

Thise pics and your photo gallery are outstanding.....very nice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom