Must do dives and topside sites on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dhunteriii

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am headed to Bonaire for a week in Feb. What are the must do dives and what shouldn't be missed on land?

If you don't have, Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy, BSDME, Author Susan Porter, you need it! The best diving guide for Bonaire anywhere. Karpata, the Bari reefs, Angel City, Salt Pier at night, Kali, Small Wall, actually just about any of them are damn good dives. I have never been impressed with the dives off Klein Bonaire.

Top side, the Donkey Sanctuary is very nice, and a good cuase. Slave huts and Lac Bay are worth the time (you will go by the salt works to get there). Gotomeer/Rincon should be included (especially if you shore dive Karpata). City Cafe was the one restaurant that impressed us. Pasa Bon Pizza is very good. Avoid the "all you can eat" at Casablanca, order off the menu.

I'll let you know soon...TODAY IS THE DAY, YIPPEE!!!!! I'll be arriving in Bonaire in almost exactly 24 hours from now. This will be my first time..."I'm so excited, I just can't hide it"....

I am headed to Bonaire for a week in Feb. What are the must do dives and what shouldn't be missed on land?

Good advice about Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy. Don't overlook some of the unmarked sites that are listed in the guide. If you do not yet have hard soled booties for shore entries be sure to get some. If you want to dive Salt Pier you will need to make arrangements with your dive shop for a divemaster and permission from the harbormaster.

Topside we like to drive around the southern end of the island and see the different topography and look for flamingos. Many folks make a visit to the donkey sanctuary. Walking around town when there are no cruise ships is enjoyable as well. Make a stop to see the windsurfers at Lac Bay -- it is a beautiful spot. If you are there during Carnival (early Feb) the parades are fun to watch also.

welcome to the board.
My 3 don't miss are Oilslick, 1000 Steps and Hilma Hooker. If your a meat lover, don't miss the mixed grill for 2 at Casa Blanca. Go early in the week (first night is best) and order the mixed grill...you will have leftovers for several days.....and goooood. And another welcome for both of you to the PBD support group.....your going to need it. :)

Here's another vote for the Shore diving Guide..... get it now and mark sites you want to visit.

here are my favorites:
Yellow Sub....... this is right downtown in front of Yellow Sub dive shop. Walk right out into water where you see all the boats moored and dive right under them - tons of baby fish of every sort right there in 20-30' depth. If you are a fish nerd, this is the best spot to see one of everything.
Andrea II.....north of town, best place to see schools of squid.
Oil Slick Leap.......north of town, cool jump into water with ladder to get out. Awesome dive.
Buddy Dive resort shore dive........ walk right down stairs into water, follow rope out to reef.. pick your dive depth 0-90', its all good. We found octo out hunting in daytime there along with eagle ray, flounder, turtles, cleaning stations everywhere!

Loved the area between Andrea I and Andrea II. If you have enough people that you have 2 vehicles, I recommend dropping everyone off at the Andrea I, drop a vehicle off at Andrea II. Pick up vehicle left at Andrea I after the dive. Wonderful underwater landscape. We saw cuda, squid, and a baby turtle. My personal favorite was Karpata. Liked it so much thinking of ordering a painting of it done by a Bonaire artist. Tricky entry. Carry everything to the concrete slab, sit on the edge, put stuff on, and slide in.

As for topside, Washington Slagbai looked nice. Didn't get there myself. Get directions to Maiky's(Mikey's) Best Local Cuisine

I just got back from Bonaire on the 29th. I loved Windsock the best. It's right by the airport and is also a great snorkel. If you want to check out my pictures and trip report you can go to my website at SCUBA CHICK.

Laurel

welcome to the board.
My 3 don't miss are Oilslick, 1000 Steps and Hilma Hooker. If your a meat lover, don't miss the mixed grill for 2 at Casa Blanca. Go early in the week (first night is best) and order the mixed grill...you will have leftovers for several days.....and goooood. And another welcome for both of you to the PBD support group.....your going to need it. :)

It is very awesome! The blood sausage takes some getting use to, but the rest of it will fill you that night and the next day.

The Bari reefs that I referred to run from right around the marina entrance north to around Captain Don's. Top 10 Stats | Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF) has it as the most diverse reef in the Carib (an outrageous number of the top ten reefs by diversity are in Bonaire). One place that looks like it would make a pretty good night dive is Something Special. The reef is a nice blend of reef and human junk that attracts eels and octopus.

Thanks for all of the awesome advice. I will be sure to pick up the shore dive book. I will check with my LDS to see if they have it. If not I will see if I can pick it up on Amazon. I will also get a better pair of booties. I am counting down the days.

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom