Must have SNORKEL to DIVE?????????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No one ever said all laws and ordinances were written by knowledgeable, intelligent people.

If they are in place and enforced, obey, pay or take try to fight them.
It's not a big deal, if it keeps the morons happy and lets us use the beach to dive then so be it.

Last time I went I zip tied it to the backplate. Perfectly safe from loss or usage. :wink:

Curt Bowen:
Dam, I guess I will not be diving there.

1st, I almost always dive alone. 2nd, out of the $50,000 in dive equipment I own, I dont think there is one snorkel to be found. :)
Curt,
the best diving in So Cal is in the winter, when there are no Lifeguards and the water is clear(20'), calm and cold. You can solo dive to your hearts content, and you won't even have to spend any money on a snorkle! Though you may find Laguna Beach sites a little too shallow from what you're used to :wink: 70'-80' feet is the max for the near inshore reef's.
Dive safe, dive often.
Robert

robertphillips5:
Curt,
the best diving in So Cal is in the winter, when there are no Lifeguards
I've talked to quite a few people who have been approached by LGs during the winter, especially the weekends.
They may not have anyone on the chairs full-time, but they still have patrols.

RichLockyer:
I've talked to quite a few people who have been approached by LGs during the winter, especially the weekends.
They may not have anyone on the chairs full-time, but they still have patrols.
Laguna has 2 full time LG's IIRC, and they may have less. If you stay away from the main beaches you don't ever see them. I went the whole winter without seeing a single lifeguard. This is diving every other Sunday and some weekdays. One of my buddies is down there every Sunday and has never seen a lifeguard in the winter. Fish and Game, yes, but no Lifeguards.

robertphillips5:
One of my buddies is down there every Sunday and has never seen a lifeguard in the winter. Fish and Game, yes, but no Lifeguards.
Feel free to take your chances... it's your $$ :)
I've been told that divers have spotted LG's cruising the bluffs, and coming down the stairs when they see evidence of diving activity.
If you're on the way INTO the water, you'll get a warning.
If you're on the way OUT of the water, you'll likely get a ticket.

Same game as running 75 on the freeway. You probably won't get popped, but the possibility is there.
Personally, the snorkel is the only issue for me, and I keep a folding snorkel in my pocket.

RichLockyer:
Feel free to take your chances... it's your $$ :)
I've been told that divers have spotted LG's cruising the bluffs, and coming down the stairs when they see evidence of diving activity.
If you're on the way INTO the water, you'll get a warning.
If you're on the way OUT of the water, you'll likely get a ticket.

Same game as running 75 on the freeway. You probably won't get popped, but the possibility is there.
Personally, the snorkel is the only issue for me, and I keep a folding snorkel in my pocket.
So you've been told. I have never seen it. First hand/second hand, it's your call. I carry my snorkle in a pocket. If I don't have it and I come out of the water and am confronted, I lost it in the water. Give me a ticket and I'll fight it and win. The lifeguards don't have that big of a hard-on for divers. It's mstly a myth. The young ones in the summer are a bit eager though. If you make a lot of noise in a residential neighborhood at 6:30 in the morning you'll be visited by the police or the Lifeguards, but if you are quite, discreet and respectfull of the residents they leave you alone.
Come on down and do some beach dives with us. Wait until October or November when conditions are better though.
Dive safe, dive often.
Robb

As far as I know there is no law that says that divers must carry a snorkel. Photographers actually find them a hinderance because they get in the way of the camera and although good to have in mild to rough sea's I think they are a pain in the ass.

I carry one in my BCD pocket just in case I surface in rough sea's or have to swim a distance to the boat or shore but I haven't used one in 5 years.

Coogeeman

when i was confronted they (or he the young newbie lifeguard) said it was:
snorkl
buddy and
BC
NOT
octo... DO you know wich one it is
My buddy doesnt have an octo yet, and it would be a shame to venture out again to be kicked back before getting wet

Someone several pages back said that the city used the RSTC standards word for word. OK, sometimes laws are written by people who have no clue about what they are voting on. Consider this, they COULD have required a license to dive off the beach, costing $250/yr with a massive fine for not having your tag on your BC or BP/W or they could have banned diving totally. Doesn't the province of Quebec require a license now???

If you do not like the way the law is written, discuss the problem with the elected officials. Explain why the law should be rewritten. Educate them, some can be taught new tricks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom