Mustache and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lord Northern

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey, I have a question.
I have a goat type mustache and beard and I was wondering if I'm going to have to shave it to be able to dive and wear a mask?

Some people put vaseline on their mustache to get a better seal. I have a very hard time with good sealing masks, and I personally have to make sure I shave the morning of a dive or I'll be clearing my mask the whole time.

I've got a goat m'self and have never had a problem with it and have never had to use Vaseline or anything along those lines. In fact on my last few dives I don't recall having to clear my mask at all (when it wasn't flooded on purpose).

I have always worn a mustache, and found that so long as I keep it trimmed short I have few issues. Recently I have started shaving a small strip between the mustache and my nose and the little leak I've always dealt with has virtually disappeared.

I have always worn a mustache, and found that so long as I keep it trimmed short I have few issues. Recently I have started shaving a small strip between the mustache and my nose and the little leak I've always dealt with has virtually disappeared.

I would have to agree. I had plenty of leakage if I would not keep my mustache trimmed short. I also use Mask Leak Sealant from Dive Right In Scuba
I went from clearing my mask every 5 minutes to only clearing once or twice per dive.

I've used chapstick to make a seal and that has worked for me.

A student of mine used silicone on his mustache... he said it worked great. His was not trimmed very short.

Thanks for your responses, friends.
Now I know that it's not so bad.

I have what I think is a good sized stash, and I don't use any products. I have become very good at manually clearing my mask ~ it's just second nature. Usually once I'm past 40' there are no more leaks, it's generally a shallow dive issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom