Mustache Divers Mask Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ez E

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What do guys with mustaches due to keep their mask from leaking?

On a recent dive out of the country I tried to shave some of the upper part of my “stache”. Nose portion of the mask still leaked noticeably. Caused me some issues at first and than just lived with it by exhaling out of my nose every few breaths.

A instructor at my dive shop said he uses Vaseline with good results. Anyone else chime in on that? Or maybe I should look into another mask also.

Here is a recent thread, but there are many others...

I put silicone grease on my mustache when I had it. Vaseline is petroleum based, so it will degrade the silicone skirt on your mask.

Atomic Venom Frameless with no Vaseline or equivalent. The gummi bear silicone is perfect for mustaches or full beard like me. No leaks for years since I made the switch. I picked up a spare in case they ever change it, it is that good.

Atomic Venom Frameless with no Vaseline or equivalent. The gummi bear silicone is perfect for mustaches or full beard like me. No leaks for years since I made the switch. I picked up a spare in case they ever change it, it is that good.

Wow that is a sweet looking mask. This gummy bear softness has me intrigued. Sad I just spent $120 on my TUSA mask a few months back. It will make a good backup.

Pencil mustache. Think John Waters.

I keep most of my upper lip below my nose shaved clean, mustache only just above the upper lip. Plenty of room for a skirt seal.

So I ordered one. The all black. I hope its worth the $170

So I ordered one. The all black. I hope its worth the $170
I don’t think you will be disappointed. If you dig around scubaboard and Reddit I suspect you will find similar recommendations like I did back in the day. I’m putting mine to good use in the Maldives as we speak. Good luck and keep us posted once you give it a try in the water.

Nothing extra needed at all. A proper fitting mask will seal nicely with a reg in your mouth. Yes, some water may enter, but you get the same thing with experience lines around your eyes. Don't trim anything, stubble leaks more than errant hairs. I clear my mask occasionally throughout the dive but that is generally because I move it doing a vassal clearing.

I don't shave or trim anything on my face to better seal my mask. My stache gets trimmed off my upper lip to prevent me chewing on it, but not away from my nose. Cheeks and burnsides are untouched.

Edit: fwiw I dive a Mares X-Vision

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom