MX 10 and Sony Housing Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spazzblaster

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought a Sea and Sea MX 10 off of Ebay. I got it for $88.00.

I was wondering if I got a good deal, and if anyone had anything good or bad to say about this camera. I'm going to use it on a vacation in Jamaica, I'm a novice underwater photographer, and I didn't want to have to do the research needed to pick out a digital set-up. I also didn't have that much money available right now, so I figured this might be the way to go.

I appreciate any comments or tips concerning this camera!

As a side question, does anyone know if there is a housing for a Soney DSC-H1 digital camera available?

Also, I'm new to the boards! Hello Everyone!

You got a great deal. I have had one for about 7 years and if you put another $0 at the end of what you paid you still would not be at what I paid for mine. They are real simple once you decide on film and lens. You did not mention what lens or if you got the YS40 flash also. I almost shoot the 20mm wide angle only at 11 auto f stop. ASA 100 Fuji film and it works for me. In shallow water and bright you will want to turn off the auto flash. Don't forget to remove the lens and get the air out from under it once you are under water. And have something that attaché's the lens to the camera so if you drop them or it falls off you don't lose it. I know everyone is going to digital and I plan on doing it in the future but with a scanner and photo shop or Photo Impact you can get some great pictures. And it takes real good land pictures to. Enjoy.

Charles

Charles, thanks for your advice and review of the camera. I'm glad to hear it was a good purchase. It also came with the YS40 flash and my friend has a 16mm wide angle lens which he used with his MM II EX. He said I can use that lens if it also fits on the
MX10.

Which leads me to that question, are lenses for the MMIIEX and the MX10 interchangable?

- Matt

Welcome to the board.
An MX10 and a YS-40 for $80, if they work that is a good deal. While the camera is a little old it is still quite capable of taking good pictures. It's pretty tough as well. I just posted some help on using one to another member. Go to the bottom of the thread. The info may help you. http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=149224&highlight=mx10

herman,

Thanks alot for the help! The thread you posted looks very helpful, I've printed it out for when I actually go to use the camera. As far as whether or not it works, I sure hope it does, I've been reassured by the seller that it is "in good working condition".

Thier Ebay approval rating is 100% so I felt confidant that they were telling the truth, I quess I'll find out shortly!

Thanks again,
- Matt

I haven't been able to sell my MX-10 because of the beating I would take trying to sell it. I am going to keep it until it's considered more valuable than 88 bucks (as an antique). :) I finally went digital because I was tired of coming home after a dive and seeing everyone else's pictures on Scubaboard. Folks just don't want to see your pictures a week or two after the weekend you went diving. However if you get your MX-10 stolen or flood it during your vacation it's not really going to bum you out too bad.

By the way if you can still find the book titled "the new guide to sea and sea" (which I still have) it has a lot of good info on shooting pictures with your MX-10. You might think at 20-30 dollars the book is pricey but you will make up the difference by take more photos that are keepers instead of being tossed in the trash because they suck. How would you like to take 10 rolls of pictures and have a half a dozen good pictures out of 250 shots.
And lastly make sure you get at least a couple rolls developed while you are on vacation, with all the x-ray machines zapping your film it would be nice to know you already have a dozen or two nice pictures to take home.

JDog:
......................................By the way if you can still find the book titled "the new guide to sea and sea" (which I still have) it has a lot of good info on shooting pictures with your MX-10. You might think at 20-30 dollars the book is pricey but you will make up the difference by take more photos that are keepers instead of being tossed in the trash because they suck. How would you like to take 10 rolls of pictures and have a half a dozen good pictures out of 250 shots..............................

I totally agree, a really good book and worth every penny. The shooting tips are just as good for digital shooters as they are for film. I will not sell my copy unless it goes with my MX-10....hummmm book for $200 and a free camera, that may work. :)
If you are searching for the book, the authors are Joe Liburdi and Cara Sherman.

JDog:
By the way if you can still find the book titled "the new guide to sea and sea" (which I still have) it has a lot of good info on shooting pictures with your MX-10.

Would you have any interest in parting with it? I'm brand new to the MX10 (just picked on up on ebay dirt cheap), and could definitely use and tips and tricks to help me out.

Thanks!

Eric

I pickup up an MX-10 last spring on Ebay... $150 for the camera, YS-40a strobe, wide angle, close-up & macro lenses, extra o-rings & grease, and the custom hard case for it all. This was the Buy-it-now price, which I grabbed up as soon as I saw it. I had been watching several similar auctions going for upwards of $250. I also picked up a new copy of the book (on Ebay for $15 or $20), which I also would highly recommend. I probably have read through the MX10 sections 3 times and have referred back to it many more times... lots of good advice & tips in there.

I was a little nervous about buying an older used camera on Ebay, but I really haven't had any problems with it. I used it last summer in Belize on about 12 dives... had some pretty good pictures for my first time experimenting w/ UW photography. To me, it is an excellent investement if you are just starting out with underwater photography. Its a pretty stout camera, I think it would take quite a bit of abuse to break it.

You might want to look around at local camera shops for the book... or even your local dive shops.

Have fun with the camera & share your pictures.

Sean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom