My advice to OW divers before taking cave instruction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CoyKoi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My two dive buddies and I just returned from a very humbling experience taking a Basic Cave Diving course at Ginnie Springs. Two of us are DMs and the other is an experienced technical diver. Our team was two guys and me, the girl. The three of us have dove together lots of times and we make a good buddy team in open water. We only truely learned the meaning of team in this course.

This was an emotionally and mentally demanding course. None of us were as prepared as we should have been, me least of all. We each felt like brand-new, "dumb-as-sticks" OW students (to all OW students: please don't be offended, I appreciate you more than ever!). But we worked hard and each had a positive, can-do attitude. We all passed (it was a miracle) after getting our behinds thoroughly chewed by our excellent instructor. If I had it to do all over again I would have:

1. At least 25 dives in doubles. I came into the class having only one dive in doubles. Big mistake.

2. Practiced the skills I learned in the Cavern Course I took from Johnny Richards a year ago A LOT more and with my Cave Course team.

As grueling for us as it was, I believe we came out of the course better divers, with a healthier respect for the perils of the cave environment, and most importantly, a powerful committment to continue to build on what we learned this weekend and practice, practice, practice -- not just at Ginnie, but at our local lake, on land...anywhere! We hope to return to Devil's Ear/Eye in the next couple of months and do limited, progressive penetration within the limits of our training and comfort level.

It wasn't a miracle ....you passed because you showed the right skills and attitude in the end. That's what's important. The learning never ends and you need to keep on top of it.

CoyKoi:
1. At least 25 dives in doubles. I came into the class having only one dive in doubles. Big mistake.

Good comment. One of the reason the caves take a beating is because of this. Plus it is hard to learn new skills when your having to spend time getting comfortable in new equipment.

Congratulations!

You went, you learned and you succeeded in meeting the requirements. BRAVO

It's kind of funny in a way. Too often divers take a course and breeze though it and feel gypped. At least you know you got your moneys worth. I bet that feels reeeeeal gooood. :)

Pete

karstdvr:
...it is hard to learn new skills when your having to spend time getting comfortable in new equipment.

Amen, brother! It was like learning to dive all over again. But when I found the "sweet spot" with perfect buoyancy and trim, it was a beautiful thing.

CoyKoi:
Amen, brother! It was like learning to dive all over again. But when I found the "sweet spot" with perfect buoyancy and trim, it was a beautiful thing.

I thought I had found my sweet spot, but it turned sour on Saturday morning when my brand new jetfins with the too-long springs started falling off my feet, and I had to get my beloved (OW) twin-jets out of the truck. Alas, though I love them for OW, they are much lighter than jetfins, and immediately, I was rolling again... So much for the sweet spot.

I really enjoyed taking the course with you, CoyKoi, and we WILL do some awesome cave dives together, as well as practice our baby skills in the beautiful brown lake!

Which agency was this course with? Are doubles the standard configuration for the basic course?

(For the record,IMHO diving caves on a single is nuts no matter what the agencies may say)

Our course was NSS/CDS Basic Cave taught by Dan Patterson. Dan's an excellent instructor. He was rough on us, but we deserved it and needed it. He was deadly serious about safety and getting it right -- just what a student needs when training for this kind of unforgiving environment.

This course can be taught in doubles, with your instructor's approval. We follow the rule of sixths, though. So, theoretically you're not supposed to use any more gas than you would with a single tank. The other two members of our student cave team were taking it with doubles, so I decided it was time for me to get with the program and don doubles, too. I agree with you that cave diving on a single cylinder is nuts.

OCDinNC:
I really enjoyed taking the course with you, CoyKoi, and we WILL do some awesome cave dives together, as well as practice our baby skills in the beautiful brown lake!

Likewise, Danny! Lake Keowee or Jocasse are perfect for simulating a cave silt out.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom