My advice to OW divers before taking cave instruction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjack321:
Yes all your skills will be gone, gone, gone :D

Seriously though, if you had taken cavern already, should one practice what's learned there or do fundies instead?

My vote is for practicing over classes, assuming that you know where your weaknesses are and know what to aim for... (not an easy thing to visualize)
Practice what you were taught. I don't think fundies is a 'prerequisite', but it did help. If you feel that with the skills learned in cavern, you are on a good path, stick with it. If not, fill in the gaps and move forward.

and practice, practice, practice -- not just at Ginnie, but at our local lake, on land...anywhere!

Anyone have thoughts on what I could practice locally before doing Cavern?
I've been practicing running line on dry land. I could practice no mask stuff and running line in the quarry. Any thoughts, I'd like to do Cavern in the spring.

Bouyancy and trim!

Line skills you should be taught by a qualified instructor. You don't want to be developing muscle memory for the "wrong" things. So instead get someone to video you in the water doing the 5 kicks. Then objectively check out your form.

Not sure what the kicks look like? Get one of these:
http://www.5thd-x.com/xducation/dvds/techdvd.html

rjack321:
Bouyancy and trim!

Line skills you should be taught by a qualified instructor. You don't want to be developing muscle memory for the "wrong" things. So instead get someone to video you in the water doing the 5 kicks. Then objectively check out your form.

Not sure what the kicks look like? Get one of these:
http://www.5thd-x.com/xducation/dvds/techdvd.html

Sweet! Thanks! Trim is no problem. Buoyancy is definately easier in warm water with my shortie than in my drysuit. But I think that's true for many divers. Not sure what to wear in Ginnie (I inquired about Cavern there awhile back) but getting in more drysuit dives could only help. I know the basic frog kick but will look into the others and check the link. Video is a great idea. I'll have to hunt down some divers for the quarry :D

I usually dive dry in N. Florida. The water temps range from 68-72, depending on the system, but by the time you get to cave, you'll be doing 2 hour long dives and will want to be dry. You might as well start training dry.

Dive-aholic:
I usually dive dry in N. Florida. The water temps range from 68-72, depending on the system, but by the time you get to cave, you'll be doing 2 hour long dives and will want to be dry. You might as well start training dry.

Er , not ALL of us dive dry on 2 hours dives. :wink:
(did a 110 minute one today wet...)

Jeano Beano

RiverRat:
Anyone have thoughts on what I could practice locally before doing Cavern?
I've been practicing running line on dry land. I could practice no mask stuff and running line in the quarry. Any thoughts, I'd like to do Cavern in the spring.

A fundamentals class is an excellent way to have your basic skills down before taking a cavern course. Another plus is that with having the basics down your cavern instructor will have more time to work on specifics and you will be able to absorb more of those specifics because your basic skills are dialed in.

There are other agency choices for a Fundamentals class as well. NAUI & TDI both have a fundamentals class (I believe NAUI is called Introduction) that give you the basics you will need. Kicks, trim, bouyancy and most important how to keep the skills working when the task loading is increased. This is where most divers have troubles and the Fundamentals class will show you the area's that you need to work on and how to task load yourself to sharpen the skills. It is easy to stay in perfect trim when that is all you are thinking about, it changes when you are dropping a stage or working a reel and your buddy hits you with an OOA. :wink:

Bobby

jeandiver:

Jeano Beano

I think it must be a woman thing... :wink: My wife prefers diving wet, too. I prefer wet, but I choose dry if I know it's going to be a longer dive. Remember, women have a higher percentage of body fat than men and that keeps you gals warmer! :D

Dive-aholic:
I think it must be a woman thing... :wink: My wife prefers diving wet, too. I prefer wet, but I choose dry if I know it's going to be a longer dive. Remember, women have a higher percentage of body fat than men and that keeps you gals warmer! :D

True True ... :wink:
Oh , and a lack of Pee-valves , that a big one for me. :confused:

Yes , you are right.
Hmmm...Now where's that chocolate bar? :D

Jeano Beano

P.S. And of course , there are sometimes I WISH I had a dry suit on.

jeandiver:

Jeano Beano

Anything over 2 hours or under 69 degrees, and I dive dry. If I'm with students or just a "fun dive" I'll wear a 7mm pinnacle "polar" wetsuit. I NEVER GET COLD IN IT, unless the water temp is under 65 degrees. When I cave dive in the bahamas, I wear my 7mm wet. It all depends where you're going to dive.

I do recommend that you keep diving in your dry suit. Get your skills nailed dry, and you'll be golden when you switch to a wet suit.

Cheers. :D

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom