My AN/DP/Helitrox course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there anywhere to rent 3l (19cuft) cylinders and the odd 40? And how far away are fills? Say diving every day for a week, how would the logistics be?
3l aluminum (19cf) are not as common here for CCRs as the 3l steels (23cf). Rentals are possible. Bob Larsen with Double Action in Milwaukee takes a lot of rebreather divers out so he is a good source for that. There are a few other charters in the Milwaukee area too that are good too. Most the Captains know each other and dive together. The tech community here is relatively small, even more so for those qualified for the deeper stuff.

*Important note, most harbors close and boats go into drydock for the winters. Typically they dont start backup until late April early May.

And boats are pulled out in late October, although you’ll often get blown out beginning from mid-late September. There’s a reason the boats get pulled out when they do. Historically, a large number of wrecks have happened in November due to weather.

If they can't do valve drill in 6 feet of water, they aren't ready to start a deco class.

So a couple of questions.

What undersuit will they use in the pool? While being able to do it in a pool is obviously better than not, being able in the pool does not mean they can do it in open water conditions.

Where/when do you expect the students to learn to do shutdowns? In the pool or on some previous ITT type of course in open water conditions?

I think Marie is right on track with pool sessions.

My post was intended for tbone in regards to his statement towards an instructor who has access to real waters with pool-like conditions.

quarries, Blue Heron Bridge, springs, etc. all count as pool time. What I don't think you can do is teach a class like ANDP 100% off of a charter boat since it is a course where you are introducing new skills. Same with courses like fundies. Those are not what I'd considered advanced courses like normoxic/trimix where there really aren't any "new skills" being introduced. ANDP is the first time you're handling bottles and gas switches and you don't benefit by being on a wreck or anything in that course.

So a couple of questions.

What undersuit will they use in the pool? While being able to do it in a pool is obviously better than not, being able in the pool does not mean they can do it in open water conditions.

Where/when do you expect the students to learn to do shutdowns? In the pool or on some previous ITT type of course in open water conditions?

I’m not sure who you’re addressing so I’ll just respond from my perspective. I can only wear my thin merino wool base layer. The pool my shop uses is almost at 80F. I did valve drills in ITT, but due to dry suit issues (leaking Fusion inner core, patched underarms and told not to stress them. Didn’t get replacement core until early November). I’ve pretty much not been able to practice since August. Instructor is aware. How I do valve drill won’t be affected due to lack of my heavy undergarment. I’m not very flexible and have to loosen my belt. It works for me.

I know others who didn’t do ITT and didn’t do a valve drill at until AN/DP. They passed and did fine.

I’m not sure who you’re addressing so I’ll just respond from my perspective. I can only wear my thin merino wool base layer. The pool my shop uses is almost at 80F. I did valve drills in ITT, but due to dry suit issues (leaking Fusion inner core, patched underarms and told not to stress them. Didn’t get replacement core until early November). I’ve pretty much not been able to practice since August. Instructor is aware. How I do valve drill won’t be affected due to lack of my heavy undergarment. I’m not very flexible and have to loosen my belt. It works for me.

I know others who didn’t do ITT and didn’t do a valve drill at until AN/DP. They passed and did fine.
I was asking Jim.

I find the undersuit for proper cold water makes shutdowns harder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom