My AN/DP/Helitrox course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

woohoo! post some pics!

Of what? Perdixes? Pink is right arm. :D

98294596-48B7-4701-BA75-2F78E5D8A315.jpeg

What’s the thing attached to the straps? Cutting tool? Please post picture.

What’s the thing attached to the straps? Cutting tool? Please post picture.

Trilobite line cutter. You can see it easier on the pink Perdix. I was taught beginning in OW that if you have a wrist computer, you have a line cutter on the strap. It was a non-negotiable. I have shears on my waist belt.

Trilobite line cutter. You can see it easier on the pink Perdix. I was taught beginning in OW that if you have a wrist computer, you have a line cutter on the strap. It was a non-negotiable. I have shears on my waist belt.

I do the exact same, trilobite on my perdix, EMT shears on my waist. Great minds think alike.

I was taught beginning in OW that if you have a wrist computer, you have a line cutter on the strap. It was a non-negotiable.
That is an interesting idea, I've never heard of it. Surprised to hear the instructor's hard line on that one, I wonder why they felt so strongly about it. Did they elaborate at all?

I have been running around with a DIR-style knife + shears, on the left and right of my harness waistband, respectively. Recently acquired a drysuit with a Trilobite sheath sewn into the left arm, which I like a lot -- these things are awesome! Might drop the steak knife, since 3 cutting tools seems a bit much for my non-penetrating dives, and the shears play double duty as a longhose retainer (I do not yet own a can light).

That is an interesting idea, I've never heard of it. Surprised to hear the instructor's hard line on that one, I wonder why they felt so strongly about it. Did they elaborate at all?

I have been running around with a DIR-style knife + shears, on the left and right of my harness waistband, respectively. Recently acquired a drysuit with a Trilobite sheath sewn into the left arm, which I like a lot -- these things are awesome! Might drop the steak knife, since 3 cutting tools seems a bit much for my non-penetrating dives, and the shears play double duty as a longhose retainer (I do not yet own a can light).

You have a cutting tool that can be accessed hopefully easily with a hand. We can get fishing line on wrecks here. The line cutters will work on that. Then there’s the 100ft of metal fishing line leader we found on my second wreck dive that needed the shears to cut it. Was diving with the same instructors that mandated the line cutters. It’s not a bad thing. Better to need and have rather than to need and not have. They don’t get in the way.

I still see way too many people with BFKs on their calves.

the reason some instructors want a cutting device on the computer is because when you get wrapped in line you can’t always get to your waist for your main cutting device.

I still see way too many people with BFKs on their calves.

I think unfortunately half of that is “tradition” and the other half is that a lot of men think of it as a penis extender if you catch my drift. My knifes longer than yours kinda thing.
Wait till they need it and poop themselves cause they can’t reach it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom