My bone head mistake.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...Laryngospasm, which is what happened to you, is terribly dangerous, because it cannot be inhibited consciously, and the obstruction is worsened by attempting to inhale. (For the purposes of anybody who might be faced with a buddy losing consciousness because of this, though, you can almost always overcome laryngospasm obstruction with positive pressure ventilation, eg. mouth-to-mouth.) ...

Every day, if possible, I try to learn something new, and today, this was it. Thanks, TSM!

BTW, if a buddy went unconscious underwater, I would simply bring him/her back to the surface rather than try mouth-to-mouth underwater, or any other type of resuscitation. Then, at the surface, check for a pulse at the carotid (I always keep my right glove unincumbered and easily removable for this). If there is a heartbeat, then begin artificial respiration immediately at the surface, and continue it during the swim back. If no heartbeat, then simply swim back to shore (or to the boat) more quickly without doing the respiration until I reach shore, and then begin the CPR on shore.

Yes my buddy was off just out of site. Viz was around 40 feet or so and he had gone up on the top deck to tie off so that the line would not tangle in the wreckage. I was in the sand at max depth. Me and my dive buddies always dive together but short periods of separation is not uncommon. After I got my self back together I started to head towards the tie point. My dive buddy was almost back to where he left me as I seemed to have been taking to long. Would it have been too late. Very possible and this was another eye opener.
JK

It sounds like you resolved your own issue quite well by yourself! Having a buddy nearby might actually have made things worse.

As was mentioned, I would have used the reg from another bottle to fill the bag, such as my EAN 50 deco bottle. Or else, switched to my bungeed reg, and use the long hose reg to fill the bag. That way, you are using a different 1st and 2nd stage to fill the bag, and so you are less likely to freeflow it. I have seen Mares regs freeflow from too much use, although never any other reg do so. But I presume all regs have about the same risk of freeflow from overuse, especially when filling bags.

If I am holding my breath, on scuba (which Cousteau himself said never to do -- Rule #1), then my lungs would be full, not half full nor empty. That is because I am a freediver first, and a scuba diver second.

Interesting story, strange mistake, fascinating medical result. I did not know all this could happen. Thanks for the excellent post! Very informative.

I am glad you were able to solve the issue by yourself. You can’t credit forcing panic back enough. Once you slip into panic, the responses tend to be limited and the results more traumatic. Good job.

I was expecting something worse..My octo got caught in the SMB and pulled me up with it, I was only at 20ft, but learned my lesson. If that had happened deeper, I may not have been here to share the story.

Excellent recovery. I am not sure but would pressing the button on regulator to force air in to your mouth help? One time, I had seawater in my lungs (after a kick to my head). I started coughing and couldn't breath through my regulator. But when I hit the botton on regulator, the pressurized air helped a lot.

The problem with trying to ventilate with a regulator is the low pressure required to open the exhaust valve. You can't generate much positive pressure at all, before the excess gas simply escapes.

Thankfully the only time I've done that I was only about two or three feet beneath the surface ... haven't worn a snorkel since ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've come close also. Free diving (shallow) after scuba diving. It's not boneheaded...it's almost an unconscious move....until, "Whoaaaa..."!!!! that was close...

I haven't had this happen to me in 200 feet of water, thank goodness, but I have just barely stopped myself from inhaling without a regulator in my mouth at shallower depths. It's almost as though your brain gets so accustomed to breathing while surrounded with water that it's no longer worried about doing so, even when it should be!

Laryngospasm, which is what happened to you, is terribly dangerous, because it cannot be inhibited consciously, and the obstruction is worsened by attempting to inhale. (For the purposes of anybody who might be faced with a buddy losing consciousness because of this, though, you can almost always overcome laryngospasm obstruction with positive pressure ventilation, eg. mouth-to-mouth.) You were very lucky that it resolved before you passed out.

That is what it sounded like to me. I thought that divers were taught how to deal with this? I was taught a long time ago, and I taught my 11 yr old scuba diving son the same thing.. The self-rescue remedy is to spit out as much water from your mouth and then swallow to release the spasm. Putting a tiny amount of seawater im your stomach should not be a problem. I view this as an important and basic diving skill????

This actually just happened to me last week in Catalina for my OW certification dives. We swam to float and dropped down to about 35ft. on our knees doing basic skills and it was my turn for mask flooding. I didn't listen to my cousin when he told me to pull off mask and wet face before descending. So I flood my mask and I guess I was overly excited and confident for this was my first dive! I inhaled water through my nose. I now have the need to inhale oxygen but I tried to take a breath and nothing, try again and nothing! Panic starts to set in and I look up to surface and almost bolted but told myself no*not the answer* 2nd reaction was to rip reg out of mouth and almost did that, but I had to close my eyes and focus. I was coughing out water at this point but for some reason I kept inhaling water from my flooded mask. I threw off the mask, held my nose shut with fingers and choked out the rest of the water and vomited in my throat. Took a couple of nice deep breaths, re-donned mask, cleared mask and gave DM the OK signal. Which he replied close call :D

As far as I am aware, swallowing is not a reliable way of relieving laryngospasm, but certainly getting any remaining sea water away from your vocal cords is a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom