My Buddy Saves Me a Big Headache

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

black_sea

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
The current was strong that day. And it did not subside at depth until 15 to 20 meters.
We were returning to the boat stern ladder, from a wreck dive in the Red Sea, Egypt.

As we came up the anchor line running from the bow, The instructor contemplated returning the way we came in the opposite direction- by the starboard side of the boat. Waves and current were stronger, so he decided to swim under the boat at a depth of 10 meters. I had almost completely deflated my BCD, so as to avoid fast ascension. With sand bottom at 22 meters, I was ready to face dipping to some depth as opposed to bumping into the boat. 90 bar air left in aluminum tank and in the past that amount did not make the tank overly buoyant.

I have lots of experience with boats, including hull cleaning, but I never saw current like this.

In a strong push, I felt myself being expelled towards the boats hull (bottom). I immediately went vertical, held my reg with one hand and tried to push off the boat with the other. I was not going down! In the stress, I was trying to empty my BCD, rolling back on my back to empty all the air and holding the hose up- yet not realizing the extra air I had taken in in my lungs was keeping me buoyant.

The whole situation took maybe half a minute- quick bump into boat, trying to sink, seeing my bubbles run up by the sides of the boat. Then my buddy grabbed my ankle and pulled me down.

We lowered to 10 meters, OK each other, and go to the line attached by the side of the ladder at the stern of the boat. The current is so strong the rope with a deco tank and several divers attached to it is making 5 meter circles. We do the safety stop and go up. We laugh.

In the commotion, I nearly bit my mouthpiece completely off. A harder mouthpiece for me!

Conclusion

Without my buddy, I would be facing the chance of getting hit and knocked out by the boats hull, coming down on the waves.

We had discussed all emergency procedures in detail, and we both agreed that in case of need to come down if one of us has a runaway ascent, the other can pull his partner down- we were ready for it and would not panic. I felt great relief when he pulled me down.

What do I plan to do as soon as possible?
If you bite your mouthpiece, you are not in control of the situation.

Lots of exercise with a boat in no current - swim under to the stern ladder, push off bottom of boat if pushed against it. Plan to stay at 10 meters or more before reaching line and ladder. And stress exercise maneuvers to make sure I am relaxed and breathing properly next time something foreseen but still unexpected happens.
All with my buddy, of course.

Why would anyone consider taking his diver group to swim UNDER a boat in the first place!?

It's in the post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom