My Canon F-1N in an Ikelite Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John C. Ratliff

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have just finished re-qualifying my 1980s Canon F-1N in an Ikelite housing to use again, using film. I started out by doing a leak check in my utility room sink, then decided it was time to put it into the water at the Tualatin River in Tigard, Oregon. The water was not deep, but I was interested in the small things, like the crawdads and the mussels in the river. Max depth was probably 10 feet. Here's the system:

IMG_0868 by John Ratliff, on Flickr
This is the Canon F-1N, with a Canon FD 50mm Macro lens attached. Note the controls on the lens.

IMG_0866 by John Ratliff, on Flickr
Here's the Ikelite housing, which I've had for decades.

IMG_0865 by John Ratliff, on Flickr
Here's the entire system, apart.

IMG_3466 by John Ratliff, on Flickr
And here's the system together, on the dock at Clark Park, Tualatin River.

Tualatin Dive001 by John Ratliff, on Flickr
I have finally gotten the film back from Blue Moon Camera and Machine, which still develops film (they get it from all over the country).

Tualatin Dive006 by John Ratliff, on Flickr
This is of the mussels in the bottom of the river. The Tualatin River is a pretty healthy ecosystem, and the mussels show that they are thriving. Shot at F-11, 1/60th of a second shutter speed (all shots were at this shutter speed).

Tualatin Dive005 by John Ratliff, on Flickr
I bracketed all the exposures to get the best exposure, using slide film. This is at F-16.

Tualatin Dive004 by John Ratliff, on Flickr
This one is at F-22, same scene.

Tualatin Dive015 by John Ratliff, on Flickr
I finally got a pretty good photo of one of the mussel's syphons.

So now my camera and housing are "qualified" to go back into the water, why go to a digital camera?

SeaRat

Back
Top Bottom