My crazy experience with Discover Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba~dog

Registered
Reaction score
Hello All!

Well I am starting my open water course June 18th. But I wanted to tell you about my experience with Discover Scuba. I had a few "moments". But my husband says they will work themselves out with my open water course.

I got into the pool and was suited with gear. The BCD was a good fit in the bust and waist area, however I have very tiny shoulders, that don't match my ample bustline. So the first hing that happened is my tank slid sidways leaving me stuck in the water and unable to get up with out assistance, no matter how much i inflated my BC.

So I guess the instructor came to the conclusion it was a weight problem (wrong). He promptly attached a weight belt to my tank and I ended up on the bottom of the pool with my legs up in the air. once again not being able to get up without assistance. And trying to remember that i had a regulator in my mouth so yes i can breath.

So after he got me up and removed the weight belt. He moved on to his other student and the DM took over. She was alot more help and figured out the problem right away. So she took the octopus and strung it through the back of my BC (not a good idea in real life) and made it fit better. Meanwhile joking about asking your dive buddy to wait for assistance while you untangle his secondary air. lol.

Anyway, after that I was good to go and we played around at the bottom flicking a golf ball back and forth at each other and just swimming around. I am sure I will be ok once i can find gear that fits. This is a great board and I will definately be visiting again.

Welcome to the boards!!

When she was doing her training, My wife had a lot of problems caused by improper fit of gear.
Once she got the right sized stuff her problems dissapeared.

Enjoy your course!!

Yes I had fun once i was down there. So I am sure I will be ok.
My husband was there observing which at first i really didn't want him there. But he stayed far enough away and didn't criticize me. If anything it was me doing the critcizing. And he just said no i didn't look like an idiot, everyone has there own awkward moments until they get used to the gear and it is properly fitted.

But soon I will be a regular Scuba Dog :)

Ha ha!
Sounds like u already have a sense of humor about diving. A full OW course will give you more time to work with equipment & comfort in the water. We really do use a lot of doo-dads, and it's overwhelming for anyone to put them all on at once.

Yup. Well my husband was there as encouragement. I actually wasn't too keen on him watching as i did not want someone to critque me. However he reassured me that everything that happened is perfectly normal. So I am sure I will have a blast when I am in there.

I am hoping my class is not postponed as there are only two of us signed up and there has to be four. So I am crossing my fingers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom