My D9...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Magnus.s

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I pre-ordered my D9 the same day first I read the spec. -air integration and compass, two features that I really felt that I was missing on my Stinger. -when the D9 was delivered my dive-store asked me if I wanted to send straight back to Suunto for a firmware update, wish I did.... -and about a year later it was time for a second firmware update :)

For the first four year my rubber wrist-strap broke about once a year, so I finally gave up and bought the titanium wrist-strap.

Last time I changed battery my dive-store charged me 55 EUR and on the first dive after the battery replacement the D9 died.... (to be fair, there was some time between the battery change and the dive). My dive-store opened it up and said: "No moisture inside". The D9 was sent to Suunto and and Suunto says, the "electronic computer module" has been damaged from water and need to be replaced, total cost to me: 384 EUR.

The "running cost" of the D9 are fairly high :) -but there are currently no other computer on the market that I would rather have, even tough the compass is utterly useless :)

Cheers,
// Magnus;

Don't worry, I had very similar adventures with an Oceanic Geo. The display started fading, I went to the official repair center to change the battery. It didn't work so they sent to the German service center. They said the computer module died (no reason, it was only 1,5 years old) and the changing would cost 200 euros. That time the shop offered a brand new Geo for 170 euros, so I didn't ask the repair. (And I didn't buy another Geo certainly, I used my ten years old Suunto Favor instead. It seemed more reliable.:cool2:)

Uh oh, as somebody who just picked up a used one, I'm almost a afraid to ask but why do you say the compass is useless (I don't use one very often having a good sense or orientation but I do expect it work when I do)?

I pre-ordered my D9 the same day first I read the spec. -air integration and compass, two features that I really felt that I was missing on my Stinger. -when the D9 was delivered my dive-store asked me if I wanted to send straight back to Suunto for a firmware update, wish I did.... -and about a year later it was time for a second firmware update :)

For the first four year my rubber wrist-strap broke about once a year, so I finally gave up and bought the titanium wrist-strap.

Last time I changed battery my dive-store charged me 55 EUR and on the first dive after the battery replacement the D9 died.... (to be fair, there was some time between the battery change and the dive). My dive-store opened it up and said: "No moisture inside". The D9 was sent to Suunto and and Suunto says, the "electronic computer module" has been damaged from water and need to be replaced, total cost to me: 384 EUR.

The "running cost" of the D9 are fairly high :) -but there are currently no other computer on the market that I would rather have, even tough the compass is utterly useless :)

Cheers,
// Magnus;

Its good that you are still smiling and like your D9.

Not sure that Id be happy about the strap breaking once a year or paying 55 EUR for a battery change and then 384 EUR for a new module due to water. Im guessing even though a shop replaced the battery that they didn't take any responsibility for water inside? When the battery is changed they are supposed to check seals, pressure test etc thats how they justify 55 EUR for a 2 EUR battery, how long was it between battery change and the dive?

Don't worry, I had very similar adventures with an Oceanic Geo. The display started fading, I went to the official repair center to change the battery. It didn't work so they sent to the German service center. They said the computer module died (no reason, it was only 1,5 years old) and the changing would cost 200 euros. That time the shop offered a brand new Geo for 170 euros, so I didn't ask the repair. (And I didn't buy another Geo certainly, I used my ten years old Suunto Favor instead. It seemed more reliable.:cool2:)

That's unusual Ive only ever heard great things about Oceanic customer service, Id be p.....d if I had to pay 170 Euros for a replacement on a 1.5 year old computer. I would imagine that the module has a life expectancy greater than 1.5 years, seems like s....y service from Oceanic.

Cheers,
// Magnus;
I have had a different experience. I too, sent mine back for the firmware update (recall) soon after I bought it four years ago. That was fairly painless (I dislike hassle at least as much as expense, but DiveTank, the retailer, did a pretty good job of making it almost hassle-free) and only cost me shipping to the dealer. Since then it performed flawlessly and without maintenance until its first battery change, recently, after about four years and three hundred dives. That cost about $100, for both the computer and transmitter batteries.

Uh oh, as somebody who just picked up a used one, I'm almost a afraid to ask but why do you say the compass is useless (I don't use one very often having a good sense or orientation but I do expect it work when I do)?
It works fine. I think Magnus is referring to its ease of use, legibility, etc, which are less than ideal, in my opinion. For a diver like me (and you, it sounds like), with little need for a compass, it's more than adequate.

I bought a Gekko as it was cheap and has user replaceable batteries, cheap enough that if it broke or I lost it etc I wouldnt be too upset. I recently bought a Vyper for the same reason. Also Im getting old and my eyesight isnt what it used to be. I feel for you both. I hope you have better luck in the future.

While waiting for the D9 to get back from Suunto I've been using my old Stinger I think it's on it's third battery, but still the original (rubber) wristband :)

The compass, with a "normal" analogue compass you take quick look and you know if you are "on-track". I think the compass in the D9 requires a bit to much "focus" to use. -but I have used it and it has helped me a few times, but I rather use a larger analogue compass anytime...

Cheers,
// Magnus;

Im guessing even though a shop replaced the battery that they didn't take any responsibility for water inside? When the battery is changed they are supposed to check seals, pressure test etc thats how they justify 55 EUR for a 2 EUR battery, how long was it between battery change and the dive?

They did not, and I don't think they are "required" to take any responsibility. There was over a year between the battery change and the dive, but it was the first dive for the D9 after the replaced battery...

The comment I got from the store was that Suunto could not tell why the D9 had taken in water because of that the store did not feel they had any obligation to do anything.

// Magnus;

Back
Top Bottom