My dive vacation to S Carolina Flopped

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharkbitejeff

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My family and myself traveled from Chicago to Hilton Head. Before we left I researched Dive opts to decide what opt would best be fitted to me. I decided on Mako dive out of Savanna. We arrived here in Hilton head on Friday for a week of fun. I emailed Mako and recieved no answer. I called and left messages twice and recieved no return call. Im sure glad that I drove my family of 6 from Chicago , 16 hours on the road completely loaded down with gear tanks ect. We are very disappointed. After I finish writing this I have to load the van and start our long ride home.We normally dive Florida.I guess I shouldn't have strayed from a good thing Next time back to Florida. :shakehead: Jeff

I look forward to hearing more about this.

Did you contact them before you left home?

Posted via Mobile Device

My family and myself traveled from Chicago to Hilton Head. Before we left I researched Dive opts to decide what opt would best be fitted to me. I decided on Mako dive out of Savanna. We arrived here in Hilton head on Friday for a week of fun. I emailed Mako and recieved no answer. I called and left messages twice and recieved no return call. Im sure glad that I drove my family of 6 from Chicago , 16 hours on the road completely loaded down with gear tanks ect. We are very disappointed. After I finish writing this I have to load the van and start our long ride home.We normally dive Florida.I guess I shouldn't have strayed from a good thing Next time back to Florida. :shakehead: Jeff

:police: ....Dive OPTS... :police:???? Is that like Two YUTES? Was there not a single other dive OP within driving distance?

Did you contact them before you left home?

Posted via Mobile Device

I'm wondering the same thing. Did you have plans made with the dive op prior to leaving, or was it just left to whim upon your arrival?

Was there not a single other dive OP within driving distance?

Steve's got a good point. There must be more than one dive op in Hilton Head. You were there for a week doing what then?

Last edited:
:police: ....Dive OPTS... :police:???? Is that like Two YUTES? Was there not a single other dive OP within driving distance?

Two YUTES? you mean like this?

Steve's got a good point. There must be more than one dive op in Hilton Head. You were there for a week doing what then?

there's about 10 when I put in "Hilton Head" and Scuba into Google. comes up with a hole list of them and their phone numbers...

"hilton head" scuba - Google Search

Easy to search as it is to post here... :D

Did contact them and spoke with someone . I asked all my questions. And was told to call when we arrived to make reservation. and yes I did call another dive" CENTER." For you that are not familiar with Hilton Head I was told by the locals that diving is not that popular there at least at HH because it is so shallow. Im sorry about the "opts" that is what we refered to them in the military for all you YUTES out there. I did what I always do. Research, Call for details and follow up when I arrived.
I really don't know what else I could have done.

If you had all our gear why didn't you do some shallow shore dives? A dive is a dive. And if there for a week why plan a day trip down to one of the other towns where ops are based. Get up at 4:30 on the road by 5. Get to a boat and dive. Isure would not have wasted a week with gear sitting on the beach. Our last trip to Ocean City Md ended up with me spending time in the hotle pool underwater working on skills cause the seas were too rough for my wife to go out on a boat. If one really wants to get wet on scuba there are ways.

Reactions: Foo
Actually there's no diveop on Hilton Head, the only one closed up around 2001 afaik.

We looked at diving out of Savannah with Georgia Offshore - it's a division of Scuba Market, an online retailer in the area.

Most of the diving in the "low country" is offshore as in a lot of areas its shallow and sandy for a long way out.

In the end we went to Myrtle Beach instead....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom