My dive vacation to S Carolina Flopped

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I am sure you had a good vacation even with no diving but next time I recommend calling around more when and if the first one flops. A little effort and you would have found a way to get under if it was a priority. You should see the crap I dive in when desperate. And no offense with the "OPTS" / "YUTES".....I just could not resist :D. Again, if it is a priority, nothing will stand in between you and the water.

Dive safe and often :wink:

Posted via Mobile Device

Wow, that really sucks. My heart goes out to you man. I think the owner of that dive op is or was on ScubaBoard for a while if my memoty serves. Captain Walter or something? I could be wrong. I'm thinking of a guy that was in the Pub just before the presidential election.

As you found out, Hilton Head isn't a popular scuba destination.

You can save some driving and dive NC next time. Try Hatteras, Morehead/Beaufort/Atlantic Beach or Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach/Carolina Beach.

Better luck next time.

I grew up in Savannah and did a lot of diving there, and always enjoyed it. Most of the diving we did was at Gray's Reef National Marine Sanctuary, the Snapper Banks, or one of the many artificial reefs off shore. All south of Hilton Head.

I'm not sure what they mean by "shallow" diving..... There is no good viz until you get a way's out, therefore most of the diving is relatively deep, 60 or more at the closer in artificial reefs and 80 - 100+ at the Snapper Banks.

There is actually some very good diving off of Savannah, looks like you just got hooked up with the wrong crew. The Diving Locker in Savannah has been around for over 30 years and would probably be a good point of contact for anyone looking for information about diving the Savannah area.

Back
Top Bottom