My Elite T3 Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daylonious

Señor Pantalones
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Problems / Suggestions with the Aeries Elite T3 Computer

I was on a planned, staged deco dive last week and was using the T3 when I ran into some problems which I think need to be addressed with the next firmware release for this unit.

When the computer went into Deco mode, it stopped displaying my total runtime, instead telling me to immediately ascend to 30ft (it may have been 40ft) and begin my deco stop.

Obviously, this worried me a bit, since I knew I had 8-9 minutes of deco stops between 90 and 30 feet.

I eventually hit the right button to display the time/date and used that as a timer to complete my dive. I had to repeatedly hit this button in order to fulfill my deco obligations at various depths.

The second problem I ran into the “hard” way was when trying to do my gas switches. The T3 does not allow you to set different PO2’s for bottom time and deco gas.

I had set my T3 to 1.4 for this dive, and when I tried to switch to 50% it wouldn’t let me, saying that my PO2 was too high. Having an argument with your computer at depth is not something I like to spend my time doing. Eventually on my 5th deco stop I finally hit 1.4 for 50% and it allowed me to do so.

Also, the frustrating thing about this unit was that you can only do a gas switch DURING a dive, it does not allow you to practice or learn how to do it out of the water, which just seems silly to me.

Also, it’s overly complicated to do so.. doing a 2 second button push, then a momentary button push, then ANOTHER 2 second button push in order to switch gases should be easier.

Basically, I’m convinced that had I lost my slate and did what this computer was telling me, I ran a serious chance of getting bent.

What I would like to see in the next release:

a) Total Runtime and Depth constantly displayed on the first screen regardless of alarms. Once it goes into deco, it stops displaying runtime, and other alarms (low gas, turn dive) eliminates even the display of your depth. (THIS IS CRITICAL!!)

b) Ability to set different po2’s for bottom time and deco gases

c) Ability to switch gas concentrations during a dive (if I lose a stage bottle, and someone else had 34% instead of my 50% - I would like the option of putting that into the computer)

d) Ability to PRACTICE gas switches on the computer on the surface – ideally this should be accomplished by only pushing 1 or 2 buttons. None of this 2 second, select, 2 second stuff….

e) Deeper stops (starting at 100 feet would be nice)

Last edited:
Not sure what your planned deco stops should have been, but I do remember reading about Deco in the manual. I went and pulled the safety reference: "The DC cannot accurately calculate deco times for stop depths much greater than 60 ft and offers no indication of how much time spent underwater would result in the need for a greater stop depth". Since I don't know if this applies to your exact situation, my general sense is that this computer was not really designed for serious, deep, deco diving.

When the computer went into Deco mode, it stopped displaying my total runtime, instead telling me to immediately ascend to 30ft (it may have been 40ft) and begin my deco stop.
Very, very strange. So your computer went directly from saying you were clear to ascend directly to the surface, and then moments later said that your ceiling was 30' ??? Very strange.

-------------------------

The second problem I ran into the “hard” way was when trying to do my gas switches. The T3 does not allow you to set different PO2’s for bottom time and deco gas.
You only discovered this at the end of the dive?? What happened when you tried to set the ppO2max to 1.4 and 1.6 before the dive? Or did you assume that this is something that you can change during the dive?

It sounds like you and your computer need to be introduced to each other. :chicken:

a) Once it went into deco "mode" it said to immediately ascend and begin deco obligations - it was at that point that it stopped giving me total runtime for the dive.

b) You can't set different ppo2's for the gases - once you set the Ppo2 - it's the same for all gases across the board. You can't have gas 1 at 1.4 and gas 2 at 1.6 for example. And you cannot change gas mixtures or pp02 once a dive begins.

Very, very strange. So your computer went directly from saying you were clear to ascend directly to the surface, and then moments later said that your ceiling was 30' ??? Very strange.

-------------------------

You only discovered this at the end of the dive?? What happened when you tried to set the ppO2max to 1.4 and 1.6 before the dive? Or did you assume that this is something that you can change during the dive?

It sounds like you and your computer need to be introduced to each other. :chicken:

For the PO2, just set it to 1.6 and dive to your 1.4 depth limit. It will give you a high PO2 warning once you get to 1.4 anyway.

*BUMP* In hopes that since this IS the manufacturer's thread, that someone from the manufacturer will comment.

Dan - that's what I wound up doing on the second dive...

Sorry - catalogs - DEMA - new products - a little sleep... so much to do, so little time. You've covered a lot of different points in your email - most of it is great feedback for future models or revisions.

I do want to clarify that while the computer told you to ascend to 30 or 40 feet for your deco stop - I am assuming that you'd planned your own stops at depths deeper than that? In deco, ceiling and time override elapsed time - I know everyone has their own priority, but from our point of view - it is a more critical piece of information. So, as you discovered - in order to see elapsed dive time, you've got to push a button. If you're planning your own stops - gauge mode may be a better option for you - you'll keep elapsed time on the main display.

Doug -

Thanks for the post. Yes, I had planned my deco stops deeper and used the time function to monitor my stops.

I appreciate the ability to use it in gauge, but I'd like my computer to be tracking my CNS / Nitrogen loading - and you lose that ability when switching to guage mode - plus it locks you out for 24 hours after doing it.

If my dive plan for the day is a deep deco dive on dive one, and shallower dives for #2 and #3 - then guage mode isn't going to do me any good during the day, i'd have to either track it (my nitrogen and CNS) via Vplanner or use a different computer.

I'm hoping to attend DEMA this year in Vegas - if I make it looking forward to seeing you guys / talking with you.

Daylon

Sorry - catalogs - DEMA - new products - a little sleep... so much to do, so little time. You've covered a lot of different points in your email - most of it is great feedback for future models or revisions.

I do want to clarify that while the computer told you to ascend to 30 or 40 feet for your deco stop - I am assuming that you'd planned your own stops at depths deeper than that? In deco, ceiling and time override elapsed time - I know everyone has their own priority, but from our point of view - it is a more critical piece of information. So, as you discovered - in order to see elapsed dive time, you've got to push a button. If you're planning your own stops - gauge mode may be a better option for you - you'll keep elapsed time on the main display.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom