My first dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eggman131

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I know this will be a bit boring for all of you vets, but it's my first dive so I gotta do this! First dive only happens once!:)

On Wednesday I head out with my cousins and some friends on a pretty sweet 35-footer out of Plymouth Harbor (MA). I'm a little more nervous than I thought I'd be because these guys have a ton of experience, I knew it'd be cold, and that a poor guy just died there last week. Also had the hood and gloves, which was new for me. Of course, a little nervousness is a good thing cause it kept me on my toes.

When we first got in the water my mask was a little leaky because I didn't realize you have to be careful with the hood or straps end up askew. Got that fixed and we head over to the bow. My cousins were great about telling me what to expect in terms of bottom environment, dive time, etc. I especially appreciate my cousin's last words before descent, despite all the training: "Brian, we're gonna be at 30 feet. If the @#$% hits the fan, just surface." Perfect.

So we head down the anchor line, and things are great. The viz was about 10 ft. and the temp was about 50. They immediately start lobster hunting while I just kind of check things out. I was surprised that we didn't see any fish for the whole dive, save for some very small ones. I was semi-impressed by the huge crabs and giant starfish, as well as the old lobster traps and kelp-covered rocks. I just sort of kicked around and kept pretty close to my buddies. They landed about 4 smallish bugs.

About 40 minutes in I'm down to 1000 psi and getting pretty damn cold. At this point I'm thinking it was pretty cool, first dive, but nothing overwhelmingly impressive. Which was fine. I was a bit spoiled because I'd done an intro dive on the reef in Australia (tough to top). So we're about ready to surface when my cousin decides to check out just one more rock. He sees something so they both get down in there with a prod stick trying to coax him out. After a good 2 minutes they finally get him, and I just about lost it. Yes, I know things look bigger underwater, but even still, these guys had just wrestled out a SEVEN POUND MONSTER! :wacko: Involuntarily I shouted into my regulator, three times, "Holy @#$%, Holy @#$%, Holy @#$%!!" THAT was something!

We surfaced, warmed up and cracked open a beer. Needless to say, everyone was impressed and I had myself a great memory for my first dive!

Thanks!

If you were cold ya might wanna think about a vest or something. Cold ruins air comsumption.

Sounds like you had fun and if you had fun in 10 foot vis you'll love diving more and more.

You know what's better than the first dive?

The second dive.:)

Good to hear about it.
I will always remember my first dive as well. just wait till you dive in warm 75ft+ water, it will be like this all over again!

My first ow dive was great

was a lot different from the pool.
Had so much on my mind that when I hit the thermalklien I forgot to breath for a second and started gasping for air. Then I told myself that i was ok and had to calm down. then I was fine and the rest of the dive went great.

I've been diving since 1979. This past Sunday I went diving with my "new" circa 1960 US Divers DA AquaMaster double hose regulator that my brother had given me. I had replaced the old rubber parts in it and it seemed to be working, but this was my first dive with it. I slipped underwater into the cool, crystal clear fresh water of Blue Spring and took a few cautious breaths. It breathed easy, so I lifted my feet of the bottom, tipped forward, and glided down. It was a moment only to be described as magical. With the bubbles exhausting behind my head, with bouyancy controlled only by my breath, I was flying in slow motion, embraced by the double hoses. The regulator was delivering all the air I could ask for. At 70-feet the air was thick enough that I could hear and feel it surging down the big intake hose with each breath. The 43-year old AquaMaster was in her element again after an absence of decades, and performing like new. It was a seduction and I fell in love.

I remember my first drive.

.. It was a dark night with scattered spot-lights above. The location was a carpark, and I was in a toyota celica mustang.. :)

Enjoy the many more dives to come !! - I'm off to the Cod Hole in a couple weeks...!

Here is a (low resolution) photo of my temptress of the deep:

Congratulations on your first dive out!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom