My first experience with panic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another thing that I've found helps is to anticipate trouble. Especially if I'm sharing air, I expect things to go wrong. If I'm expecting a problem and them I have a problem, I'm already thinking about how to solve it. I'm less likely to panic.

This really hits home.

My thought process, in retrospect was that I didn't anticipate trouble. "It's just a training dive, that means it's going to go smooth right?!" Well, obviously that's not the case. Stuff can go sideways at any time, and if doing a skill you just upped the chances that something will go wrong because you're not just letting things alone but are changing stuff. Doing a skill involving having a reg out the mouth is upping the potential even more.

What's odd in my not recognizing this is that I NEVER have a student with a reg out of their mouth when I'm not right next to them with my alternate in my hand ready to donate immediately if I detect any problems. Yet when I was doing the same thing I didn't have any consideration for the possibility that something could go wrong for me.

More practice might be in order. They need to be automatic responses.

This has definitely gotten me more focused on practicing skills. That's another one to add to the list.

But I agree that maybe more practice is called for..

There's no 'maybe' about it!

But I suspect equally importantly is to be aware of the need to be focused on potential issues for myself as well as for others.

Kingpatzer:
What's odd in my not recognizing this is that I NEVER have a student with a reg out of their mouth when I'm not right next to them with my alternate in my hand ready to donate immediately if I detect any problems. Yet when I was doing the same thing I didn't have any consideration for the possibility that something could go wrong for me.

I don't find it odd at all. Your students are just learning, of course they can have problems. On the other hand, we are good, experienced divers. We aren't going to have problems. Subconsciously, that's the way we tend to think. It is always a struggle not to let that mold our actions and our approach. I think I was at 760 dives before I finally got that lesson down. I constantly have to remind myself that things can and do go wrong for anyone and everyone.

I was doing the same skill. But my instructor didn't pull the regulator out of my mouth, it fell apart! I had the mouthpiece in my mouth and the regulator on it's 7' hose dangling below him. I did get a few breaths off it before it happened so the panic didn't hit. I just swam the 7' (felt like 20) and put the reg back in the mouthpiece and held it there. Within two or three kicks, I felt a tap on the shoulder and another regulator appeared, from his sling tank.

He's also my snuggle buddy and felt awful about it. Yep - great guy here.

Just as a point of info your buddy needs to work on this as well. Not covering the purge button on a hand off of the reg is a big plus to a successful drill. I have gotten into the habit of removing my reg with my hand on the hose all the time as opposed to taking it out by the second stage body.

I think a general lesson in this is to always, always beware complacency. No matter how experienced you are, how many times you've experienced something, etc, you're always safer to remain fully, mindfully engaged. You just never really know what might happen, and that's for life generally, not just diving.

What could be easier, for instance, than driving an interstate highway, yet we periodically see a car flipped over in the median for reasons that may or may not be apparent. Every time I see one of those (as I'm complacently driving along, myself), I think, "One second before that happened, that driver had no idea anything was about to change." Then I sit up a little straighter and start paying more attention to my surroundings.

Getting the lesson is all there is to be done. I'm glad your students have someone as thoughtful about this as you; you'll make them safer divers because of what this teaches you.

You actually cluck like a chicken or at least make the motion with your tongue. Place the tongue against the back of the roof of your mouth and then make a clucking sound by moving it rapidly forward. It will displace enough water to clear the reg. I also advise them to then keep the tip of the tongue against the back of the top teeth to create a dam of sorts when taking that first cautious breath. The technique requires no air.

I've always appreciated that I could panic, but I was also always confident that I wouldn't, if that makes sense. Now I know that isn't the case, and that's not a comforting thought.

This is the gist of the story IMHO, and the 'why' you are struggling to come to terms with the incident. You are truly having to define yourself again, both as a person and as an instructor because you did not believe this would happen to you.

You are doing a great job at becoming a better diver and instructor by admitting the incident felt bad rather than just lying to yourself that you did not panic. You are worried how it will influence your instructing, great! It's the bozos who do not worry that worry me. Hang in there, like others say, you will be better for it! You've gotten great advice about the practical stuff, and I agree that one of the great lessons is that don't forget to take care of yourself. You can't prepare for every surprise but give yourself the same courtesy you would to others when you can.

Thank you for sharing, I have learnt a lot from this post and its nice that divers with 200-499 aren't afraid to tell others that they are human too. I only have 20 dives and panic about the fact I may panic, so I just hope one day soon I can be less anxious and deal with situations as well as you did.

For me panic can set in so quickly that you literally have seconds to calm yourself before your brain becomes useless, but breathing deep(if you have a reg in your mouth!) and thinking can get you out of trouble. But reading posts on scuba board has helped me immensely as I know its natural to be nervous sometimes, and that its not because Im just not suited to be a diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom