My First Lion Fish Meal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trolling? I come as a counterpoint to the senseless killings, which according to many studies, shows it is useless and others showing it has a negative effect the reef. It is just that I have never seen so much excitement in talking about killings on these forums, the non-spearfishing ones in specific. Its as if I have mistakenly came upon the safari big game hunting forum.

What utter nonsense. Killing lionfish in these habitats does no more harm than pulling invasive weeds or fishing for Asian Carp. I think that the PETA forum (or the big game hunting forum - if that's what turns you on) would be a better place for you if this disturbs you. These fish are an invasive destructive nuisance. Culling a few will hardly change their behavior. Can you refer to the study showing this negative effect on the reef please?

Lwang, you seem intent on hijacking a thread originally started about eating a meal.

It's clear you have something to say about the correctness of culling this invasive species.

If you are going to speak out about something you feel strongly about, speak loudly! Why not start another thread, invite discussion and comments from the entire board, rather than sniping with this small subset, many of whom do not share your view. I look forward to reading your new thread.

Last edited:
Sallye, You have deal, I'll even share my secret ingredient for an excellent ceveche: The addition of a bit of Sauvignon Blanc. (don't really care to drink it but it's acidity adds a nice touch)

Sallye, You have deal, I'll even share my secret ingredient for an excellent ceveche: The addition of a bit of Sauvignon Blanc. (don't really care to drink it but it's acidity adds a nice touch)

You are sooooo right! I use Sauvignon Blanc in my LF ceveche all the time! YUM!

BTW, maybe if we ignore LWang and not answer his hijacking posts, he'll slither away. :wink:

Damn. My stomach is growling reading about lionfish ceviche. I'm not really a big fan of ceviche in general. The last time my wife and teenage son had some, I tried "just a bite" and had to order my own.

Trolling? I come as a counterpoint to the senseless killings, which according to many studies, shows it is useless and others showing it has a negative effect the reef. It is just that I have never seen so much excitement in talking about killings on these forums, the non-spearfishing ones in specific. Its as if I have mistakenly came upon the safari big game hunting forum.

You know you are free to leave this thread and not have to read another word of it if it bothers you as much as it seems to!.... Just a thought. :wink:

As for me, I find them to be nasty, devastating little creatures that just happen to also be very tasty when pan fried with a bit of garlic and lime! Yummmm!! :eat:

according to many studies, shows it is useless and others showing it has a negative effect the reef.

Since there are "many", I'm sure you'll have no trouble providing references (actual citations, not "studies show") for some studies that demonstrate a negative effect on caribbean reefs resulting from hunting invasive lionfish.

Until you do that, your assertions are what scientists technically refer to as "crap you just made up."

For clarity in this discussion, I've never hunted underwater and don't anticipate doing so. I definitely believe that hunting by humans can have a significant negative impact on reef ecology depending upon a number of factors. Overall, I am not a big supporter of underwater hunting on reefs.

However, I also believe that fish have always been a significant food source for humans and will remain so. A good case can be made that spearing is considerably safer for the reef than trawling or line fishing. It should be obvious that it's ecologically preferable to consume a plentiful invasive species instead of scarce indigenous ones (such as snapper or grouper).

Personally, the argument that's most persuasive to me is that lionfish are incredibly delicious because they're supposed to be eaten, and that in order to be eaten somebody must catch them.

Since there are "many", I'm sure you'll have no trouble providing references (actual citations, not "studies show") for some studies that demonstrate a negative effect on caribbean reefs resulting from hunting invasive lionfish.

Until you do that, your assertions are what scientists technically refer to as "crap you just made up."

For clarity in this discussion, I've never hunted underwater and don't anticipate doing so. I definitely believe that hunting by humans can have a significant negative impact on reef ecology depending upon a number of factors. Overall, I am not a big supporter of underwater hunting on reefs.

However, I also believe that fish have always been a significant food source for humans and will remain so. A good case can be made that spearing is considerably safer for the reef than trawling or line fishing. It should be obvious that it's ecologically preferable to consume a plentiful invasive species instead of scarce indigenous ones (such as snapper or grouper).

Undercurrent magazine has a recent article that says it is futile fight. The article is not on the interwebz, but here is another one from undercurrent:

Is the Lionfish Really a Threat?: Undercurrent 10/2010

Here are a couple of short documentaries on how the lionfish is controlling the population and maintaining a healthy reef, and call for a real study & conservation, instead of mass hysteria.

Lionfish Impact part 1, they are not so evil after all - YouTube

Lionfish Imact, Part II, They are not so evil after all - YouTube

Undercurrent magazine has a recent article that says it is futile fight. The article is not on the interwebz, but here is another one from undercurrent:

Is the Lionfish Really a Threat?: Undercurrent 10/2010

Here are a couple of short documentaries on how the lionfish is controlling the population and maintaining a healthy reef, and call for a real study & conservation, instead of mass hysteria.

Lionfish Impact part 1, they are not so evil after all - YouTube

Lionfish Imact, Part II, They are not so evil after all - YouTube

I reviewed your posts. What I came away with was:
Undercurrents article: "So the experts say humans are the best hope as the lionfish predator." It may be futile, but that's the best hope according to the article.

Video 1: Look there are some fish still so lionfish aren't that bad.
Video 2: Lionfish kill algae somehow and that's good for coral.

I found video 2 really interesting actually, but it seems to be anecdotal at best. Might make for interesting research.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom