My First Lion Fish Meal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI would offer a course on "Swimming with fins of different colors" if they thought there was a market. In this case, I suspect the new name is more in line with their actual goals, since I reckon it's focused on invasive lionfish in the caribbean rather than native ones in Indonesia.

One was created in Bonaire and the other in Grand Cayman.

If 2 observations per day since is 1992 is pseudoscience, then all the casual observations by people must be superstition.

If you want to eat lionfish, eat it as sushi, as the groupers are doing:

grouper_lionfish.jpg

As study shows, correlation between availability of groupers and its inverse relation to lionfish population:

PLoS ONE: Grouper as a Natural Biocontrol of Invasive Lionfish

Since it is only correlation, I presume it is sorcery.

PADI would offer a course on "Swimming with fins of different colors" if they thought there was a market. In this case, I suspect the new name is more in line with their actual goals, since I reckon it's focused on invasive lionfish in the caribbean rather than native ones in Indonesia.

If 2 observations per day since is 1992 is pseudoscience, then all the casual observations by people must be superstition.

grouper_lionfish.jpg

As study shows, correlation between availability of groupers and its inverse relation to lionfish population:

grouper_lionfish.jpg

Can I try to show you the difference between science and observations? Your DM videos show a reef that seems to have more lionfish, less algae and still has fish as demonstrated by pointing a camera at some fish. I don't discount that as interesting given the guy's long experience. Maybe someone will study it and see if:
1. What he 'sees' can be documented, and if so;
2. If there is any cause and effect to be found.

On the other hand you said killing lionfish is bad because they might be good for the reef or something. I would point to the study you just posted and note the following:

Quoting from your study:
The authors note that lionfish are generally accepted as about to severely damage the reef ecosystems:
"Lionfish (Pterois volitans/miles) have invaded the majority of the Caribbean region within five years. As voracious predators of native fishes with a broad habitat distribution, lionfish are poised to cause an unprecedented disruption to coral reef diversity and function."

The authors suggest that since we don't have a plethora of giant grouper, we should endeavor to kill all the lion fish we can:
"However, if the historical trend of poor management continues [referring to grouper management] then direct capture and eradication may be the only practicable form of lionfish control for much of the Caribbean. Economic incentives, such as the development of a commercial market for lionfish - which is beginning to happen in some parts of the Caribbean - might help make direct interventions a cost-effective option."

So.... Your most compelling evidence tends to diametrically oppose your position. Meet you at Kinta for the lionfish cherry bombs?

Comments:

I seriously doubt reef sharks eat LF. The LF generally stay very close and protected in the reef.
Many times I have kilt a LF and left them...not seeing anything come after it except a few tiny fish/small yellow snappers, and then only after the guts hanging out. Yet I have often seen a dead LF left by another diver who was far ahead of me, or from another dive group. Makes you wonder how hungry the fish are sometimes!

In response to Dave the OP, I ate my first Lion Fish at La Perlita about 2 weeks ago.... a la plancha al mojo de ajo.....yummm. The 4 LF dishes were grilled, brochette, ceviche and coconut battered & fried. All 4 LF entrees are 200 pesos.. more expensive than what the other fish dishes are on their menu. When I asked why so pricey I got a response about it being difficult to catch & clean. Later, when talking to a friend about it she told me it was the Fishermans' Coop that was setting the price high. You guys who are catching and eating are getting a good bargain.

Can I try to show you the difference between science and observations? Your DM videos show a reef that seems to have more lionfish, less algae and still has fish as demonstrated by pointing a camera at some fish. I don't discount that as interesting given the guy's long experience. Maybe someone will study it and see if:
1. What he 'sees' can be documented, and if so;
2. If there is any cause and effect to be found.

On the other hand you said killing lionfish is bad because they might be good for the reef or something. I would point to the study you just posted and note the following:
He has documented his observations, but it is not in his video, a little hard to do a presentation underwater.

Quoting from your study:
The authors note that lionfish are generally accepted as about to severely damage the reef ecosystems:
"Lionfish (Pterois volitans/miles) have invaded the majority of the Caribbean region within five years. As voracious predators of native fishes with a broad habitat distribution, lionfish are poised to cause an unprecedented disruption to coral reef diversity and function."

The authors suggest that since we don't have a plethora of giant grouper, we should endeavor to kill all the lion fish we can:
"However, if the historical trend of poor management continues [referring to grouper management] then direct capture and eradication may be the only practicable form of lionfish control for much of the Caribbean. Economic incentives, such as the development of a commercial market for lionfish - which is beginning to happen in some parts of the Caribbean - might help make direct interventions a cost-effective option."

So.... Your most compelling evidence tends to diametrically oppose your position. Meet you at Kinta for the lionfish cherry bombs?
Both of their views is that the proliferation of the lionfish is likely due to humans eating up all of the top predator on the reef, namely the large groupers.

Guy on the video also state that the groupers would have kept the small reef fish in check if it weren't for their elimination, with the lionfish having taken over much of that role.

Here is a letter to the editor the DM wrote:

thebahamasweekly.com - Lionfish, helping to save the reef

My first lionfish meal was prepared by Gabi Loco after we hunted them outside the park for several days that week. :wink:

If Gabi can no longer dive, he could have a great career as a seafood chef! :)

Had my first lionfish meal at La Perlita last week. I think it was the best fish I've ever tasted. Had it grilled in garlic butter. mmmmmmmm:drooling:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom