My first "OH CRAP" Moment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slight issue here is twisting the gauge under pressure, straining the O-rings.

i.e. turning the gauge over to face downwards with no pressure in it, powering it up, then turning the gauge around to face you whilst it's powered up and the tiny O-rings are under great pressure. It's a quick way to wear them out and you'll possibly get some bubbles 'champagning' from the swivel connection between the gauge and hose.

Thanks for expanding on your explanation.

My SPG is old and bulky. I have hold of my second, slightly purging when first cracking open of gas pressure. Then I stop purging and fully open my tank. Then I look at my guage. Assuming that I see the expected pressure, I'll then begin all my other gear checks.

Once all of my gear is donned, I put the reg in my mouth whilst looking at the guage and do the two or three sharp breaths.

This last step is something that I do again, immediately before entry.

I usually take another look around 15', and again once at depth.

That said, there was the time that during a giant stride, just before the jump, I yelled to the other divers " Wait for meeeee!!!" And at 15', I thought something is different. Oh, right. One needs their reg IN their mouth. So, I scooped arm, recovered and placed reg in mouth, purged and then caught up with the group. Another lesson learned. 😉

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom