My first scuba video! Cozumel 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tenurepro

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All,
Please check out my first scuba video! taken recently (March 2018) in Cozumel.
Equpment: Gopro Hero5, 2 x Kraken 5000 video lights
I would appreciate any comments or feedback! Thanks!

Wow! Very nice. I just bought 2 kraken 5k lights. Flex arms? Did you adjust focal point of lights much? Did battery's last length of dive? Was impressed with the sharpness. Hope i can do as well. Any tips you may have to a new video diver?

Wow! Very nice. I just bought 2 kraken 5k lights. Flex arms? Did you adjust focal point of lights much? Did battery's last length of dive? Was impressed with the sharpness. Hope i can do as well. Any tips you may have to a new video diver?
This is my first video - so not sure if i can give you a lot of useful info, but here it goes...
i used an SRP tray, 2 x 1 ft of 3/4" locline flex arms. I also got the remote for the kraken lights with 2 fiber optic cables. i had the lights set a bit back of the camera, but each light pointing parallel to the camera. i kept them like that most of the time. The battery was good - in that i did 2 tanks dives on the same set of battery, which is great - no having to change out battery on the dive boat. I wasn't rolling all the time though; i had the lights turned on to spot - at the lowest intensity - when i wasn't shooting to conserve the battery; whenever i was approaching something interesting, i would switch the lights to flood @ max intensity, hit record on the go pro, and shoot a 30 sec to 1 min clip, then i would switch the lights back to spot @ min intensity. I would say i shot about 30 to 40 clips on both days, and the battery on the krakens was still in the 'green' range.

another thing i wondered about - to use the dive lights with or without a red filter on the gopro. i've done a bit of research before hand, and i've heard some arguments for both and against using a red filter while the lights where on. in did some test shots of my first day of diving and i actually liked the colors of the shots WITH the filter and the lights... for example, have a look at the video again, the shot of the nurse shark at 2:50 vs. 2:60... same shark, same cave, but the first was shot with the red filter + lights and the second was shot without the red filter but with the same lights... the shark looks the same, but the color in the background is more pronounced with the red filter. the only exception to this is when your object is very close to the lens; the red fliter will give the object a bit of an 'orange' glow...

finally - i wish i had taken a few more clips to set the scene; us going into the water, descending to depth, ascent, some picture of the surface from down under, etc. etc... next time!

thats it - hope that helps and shoot me any other questions - happy to help. Overall, i was happy with the lights, but this is my first foray into underwater video so don't have any frame of reference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom