my first SM trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rick00001967

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hello everyone
i thought i'd post a couple of pics from our recent trip to st maarten. this is the first trip after my SM cert. in mexico. i got to dive all 10 dives with doubles with Dive Adventures in simpson bay. great crew there. we have used them quite a few times. thx to them for allowing me to do things a bit different then they are used to dealing with. it all worked out quite well.

after seeing the pics i would lower the bands on the tanks but at the time they felt fine in the water and my trim was pretty darn good i think. i also could have used a bit less weight when the tanks were full and then add some for the second dive when tanks were a bit lighter but i found that 8lbs (2 4lbers in the lower central pockets) worked just fine for both dives.

in case anyone is interested......i am obviously using the xdeep stealth but i lowered the central weight pocket on the harness from its original position and have 4lbs in each of the lowest pockets. the reason i did this was that during training it was necessary to put some weight on my crotch strap for proper trim. i wanted to avoid this so i tried moving that central pocket lower. seemed to work fine. also.....hog regs, allum 80's, 1mm full wet suit, and 5mm boots. (i know.....5mm boots ??......they are the only wet boots i own)

during my ow sm training we were simply jumping in the water with air in the bladder and no tanks. the crew would then hand us both tanks to don in the water. i wanted to try something different. turns out i found it worked quite well to do a giant stride off the back of the boat holding my left tank by the valve with the reg in my mouth. clip off tank, route hose behind head, reg bungie around neck, attach tank bungee. then have crew hand me the right tank in the water, clip off, attach tank bungee, route hose around neck, clip off reg (or keep in mouth), and go.

any thought, comments, or suggestions are more than welcome.

one last note......i have read quite a few posts about it being tough to travel using sm due to not always having proper valves. now i know we don't "have to use" left and right handed valves but if using both right hand valves we need at least one valve to have enough of a post for the tank bungee (the other side would go around the valve handle). seeing as dive adventures told me their valves did not have a long enough post i simply brought my own. they had no problem dedicating two tanks for my use and it was relatively simple to switch the valves. now i am not sure if most shops would be this accommodating but it worked out well for me doing it this way. just thought i would mention that.

thx
rick st maarten 2015 353.jpgst maarten 2015 321.jpgst maarten 2015 098.jpgst maarten 2015 010.jpg

Looks like you had fun! Think you lucked out having the dive shop be ok with swapping out your valves, though.

With the Diverite Nomad, top clipping the steel tanks and old Skool bungies, gearing up completely on the boat and striding in is how I've been doing it for years. No problems with only right hand valves on rental either with that set up, though I dive a left/right with my own tanks at home.

finally got a short video put together for you fellow side mounters out there. haha shot on a new gopro. having issues with the software. have to get ahold of their tech support to hopefully solve. but here it is anyways.......enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJNqtfDWiGI

nice photos ....you look good....thanks for sharing.

You're looking good Rick! Nice buoyancy and trim. For the bcd, I would add another knot to the bungees on your bcd, including the crotch strap. I suspect you still have it set up for your drysuit. You just have to tighten it up more for warm water. You can see, especially in the first sequence, how far the wing floats off of your body.

You can see, especially in the first sequence, how far the wing floats off of your body.
I agree, you might also be a little over-weighted, as the wing has "beach-balled" a fair bit, this is often an effect of having to inject more air to counter the excess weight being carried. Might be worth a thorough weight check when you get chance.Nice trim though, you look really comfortable which is great.... :)

gearhound and stu

thx for the input. i agree the bcd needs improvement. i am going to try some different techniques to secure the bcd in the rear just for kicks. perhaps even a bit stiffer bungee would help so there is not so much stretch.
i did a check out dive and settled on 8lbs. seemed to work fine doing two dives. i did consider dropping some weight for the first dive and adding it back for the second but did not want to bother. i was so comfy and relaxed and was so happy with trim i thought i would leave well enough alone this time around. but next time i use that set up i will def try to drop some weight (at least on the first dive) to see if i can get away with less while still staying trim.
thx guys
now if only i could get my new gopro software to work properly.......making these videos will be much easier. haha

Very nice! Makes me want to do another ocean dive. And just my two cent ( by now a day late and dollar short :wink: ) instead of moving the cam bands down as you mentioned, try lowering the d rings on your hips some. That will bring the tanks down more into trim.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom