My first solo dive!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SmileMon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I can finally say I understand whoever dives solo, its well worth the risks, at least for me.

I never actually felt like I have a "buddy", the "buddy system" is weird to me since most of my buddies are insta-buddies, which I feel like I need to babysit and follow around rather than just stay on 10 square feet and really look into all the life forms that are there.

Today I've had it, I was on a dive boat and buddied up with a nice group of 3 divers, it was ok in the begining but chasing around the new diver who also forgot to vent his BC when he ascended (I wasn't following him up but I saw him shooting up once he went to 40 feet (I was at 55) wasn't all that fun.

On the second dive I went in with my pony (40cf) and 120cf 40% nitrox, when everyone in my group ascended I still had 1900 psi (30-35 minutes into the dive).... I told them see you on the boat and continued my dive..

This is where the fun began, I've found a blue shrimp along with some other little shrimps cleaning one of the corals, I was looking at them upside down for about 20-30 minutes, when I looked around me the last divers were on their safety stop so I ascended (with 35ft and 15ft safety stops, max depth 70ft, I was there for an hour...).

I saw so many new life forms today than in all my other dives.

I have to tell you, I never had so much pleasure like that, I understand completely why you guys dive solo.

Conclusion: if possible, dive solo, look around more often even if I found something amazing.

That was dive 24.

Thank you for reading this, I just felt like sharing.

p.s. If anyone has an article about how to make solo dives safer, I will appreciate if you can post it / link to it.

SmileMon:
I can finally say I understand whoever dives solo, its well worth the risks, at least for me.

I never actually felt like I have a "buddy", the "buddy system" is weird to me since most of my buddies are insta-buddies, which I feel like I need to babysit and follow around rather than just stay on 10 square feet and really look into all the life forms that are there.

Today I've had it, I was on a dive boat and buddied up with a nice group of 3 divers, it was ok in the begining but chasing around the new diver who also forgot to vent his BC when he ascended (I wasn't following him up but I saw him shooting up once he went to 40 feet (I was at 55) wasn't all that fun.

On the second dive I went in with my pony (40cf) and 120cf 40% nitrox, when everyone in my group ascended I still had 1900 psi (30-35 minutes into the dive).... I told them see you on the boat and continued my dive..

This is where the fun began, I've found a blue shrimp along with some other little shrimps cleaning one of the corals, I was looking at them upside down for about 20-30 minutes, when I looked around me the last divers were on their safety stop so I ascended (with 35ft and 15ft safety stops, max depth 70ft, I was there for an hour...).

I saw so many new life forms today than in all my other dives.

I have to tell you, I never had so much pleasure like that, I understand completely why you guys dive solo.

Conclusion: if possible, dive solo, look around more often even if I found something amazing.

That was dive 24.

Thank you for reading this, I just felt like sharing.

p.s. If anyone has an article about how to make solo dives safer, I will appreciate if you can post it / link to it.

Sounds like a cool dive, wish I was there, no wait then it wouldn't have been solo:D
One thing to think about, you didn't say if you cleared your dive plan with the boat skipper but it is a good idea to let them know you intend to stay a little longer and reduce their stress when you don't surface with the group.

It makes sense for someone who doesn't have a regular buddy, but don't turn away buddies either. There's a lot to be learned, especially with only 24 dives experience. Like Dave said, an important thing is to let the boat crew know your intentions. If you haven't, then don't do it. Also be aware that many boat crews won't let divers solo. A few things to think about are the what ifs. What if you had a valve failure? What if you got entangled in fishing line? What if you got disoriented and lost? You may have the redundancy to deal with all of this, but are you mentally prepared to deal with it. All the redundancy in the world won't help you if you don't train and prepare yourself for the problems that may arise. I haven't had a valve failure, but if it happens, I know I will react appropriately because I practice valve shut off drills on a regular basis. I also practice deploying my pony reg on a regular basis. This way if I have a valve failure my reaction will be an automatic one. Solo diving isn't something you just start doing. It's something you need to work up to. Practice these skills with a buddy around, of course letting your buddy know what you're going to do before the dive.

Hey, I welcome anyone who wants to dive with me as long as I don't need to look at their pressure guage and not chase them around, I'm not a DM, not an Instructor and I don't even have rescue, I just started figuring out how to dive and control my bouyancy...

Everything was cleared before the dive, even on the first dive.

I told them on the surface, if I have more than 1500 psi, I'm staying down, just let me know when you surface so I won't be surprised that you're gone.

The DM on the boat assumed I'll be diving solo because I came with the pony, I told him that in the begining I would like to buddy with someone but I might go solo.

I was the first one to jump in the water and the last one to surface and they saw me stopping on the 35 feet, they thought I went into deco...

The thing that annoyed me the most is that during the dive there was an idiot with those underwater buzzers, no more than 1 minute of silence...

Eventually I discovered it was an instructor with an overcrouded class......

The buzzer should be used only to pinpoint there is a beautiful shark/turtle/jewfish in the area and we should look at it! :D

Dive-aholic, I'm not easily paniced and if I do, I can usually control myself, but you are right, if I am serious about diving solo, I should be prepared for more disasters than usual, I will start by switching regulators during the dive once in a while.

I didn't have a problem of disorientation at this dive because it was an anchored wreck dive, I don't have the balls to do it in a drift dive yet.

Funny you talk about valve failing, when I surfaced from the first dive my tank o-ring looked like something was chewing it... no matter, I'm planning to switch to DIN as soon as I get the kit.

My big tip is get a SMB with cave line loaded spool and use it almost always. Always have a good rapport and clear communication with your captain...he is really your buddy. If you ever do a solo shore dive...be even more cautious since currents can change unexpectantly and have someone on the beach, in case you do not come back per plan. I believe in solo 100 ft and less. Deeper than that, on air..you could see issues and risk rise sharply. The new level of vigilance will make you a better diver, IMO. Personally, I would never solo in poor viz due to entanglement possibility. Rarely would I do a new site solo, the exception being some macro stuff directly under the boat. Get used to think "what are the likely worst case scenarios?"...plan for those things.

Good luck, enjoy the zen!

No only switching regs, but also practicing valve drills. Your pony should only be pressurized, not open during the dive. So you need to practice opening the valve during the drills. You can have a failure with DIN, too. Just dive safe!

BTW, who did you dive with? I don't know many dive ops that allow solo diving.

The pony is pressurized and open valve, I'm not sure I'm in the stage of playing with valves underwater, it will take some time.

I am keeping an eye on it once in a while to see if its bubbling.

Dive-aholic:
...BTW, who did you dive with? I don't know many dive ops that allow solo diving.
I'd be interested as well. I used to love diving solo but usually ended up insta-buddied because the operator said "no solos".

Back
Top Bottom