My first solo dive!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SmileMon:
Zeagle pony straps, its on my BC on the back, I tried setting it so the valve is on the bottom so I can reach it during the dive, but its hard to breath like that (the hose is too short).

So right now its on my right side, valve up, two straps, hose going under my right arm and clipped to my lower chest D ring (the octo is on the higher chest D ring).

It sustained strong currents, giant stride and backroll without a problem.

Where is the SPG?

Have you considered slinging it stage style on your front ? Lots of advantages to that. Easy to open/close valve,easy to read SPG. Less chance of entanglement.

There is a classic thread where a prominent scubaboard member went out of air,went to his back mounted pony only to find it had had a leak during the dive and was empty.

catherine96821:
I agree with you although I want to point out that the commercial captains I rely on, are very experienced, and I would probably worry a bit with an "uninitiated" captain.
When we get our own boat very soon, we will not be solo diving on drifts the way we do it with our very reliable captains who really know what they are doing. The captain I use a lot has 35 years on these waters. In some ways it isn't really solo when you have a guy like that tracking your movements! I cannot overestimate how much I count on them to have a safe solo dive.

Often, I think how much more "solo" kayak divers are than what I do. The possibility that their kayak won't be there is a possibilty, etc. If I dive without anyone on a boat, I stay within eyesight of the anchor. I am not telling anyone else what to do, I am just sharing my own strategy for staying "safe enough for me".

Catherine, doing drift dives is a whole lot different then diving the Great Lakes where there usually isn't much current. If that was the case I probably would want to rely on an experienced captain. Thats a bit of a different ballgame. I would really like to dive with you some day, although I haven't been to Hawaii in twenty five years since my sister was stationed there. I'm sure you could show me around. Anyway, after an introduction to great Lakes diving you would probably not mind soloing out here, but rather prefer it as I do. If you've ever been one on one with an intact great lakes schooner and photographed it, you'll know what I mean. We probably have nothing in common, but we do share one passion and that is diving. Dive safe!

Jim

ianr33, I'm almost ashamed to answer, I have a pony spg on the 1st stage.. I guess I trust my luck too much.. if I'm serious about solo diving, this will have to change, either I add another transmitter or I get a regular spg.

I did consider slinging it, but I like the front of my body to be clear, that's why I don't have anything in the front (unless you call the tight clip for my octo and pony reg "thing"), everything is either clipped very close or in the BC's pockets.

Having a bottle there will be a bad idea, sometimes I lie almost completely flat on the surface, hovering a feet or two from the surface/corals, the bottle will either kill the corals or I'll be forced to give up on closeups.
Also, what happens if I'm head down? won't that thing just go straight to my face?

The first time I had the pony the captain asked me "when are you going to use that?".. I said "I hope never"....

SmileMon:
...what are my options? pay for a charter and get pissed at the insta-buddy or take the risk of solo and at least enjoy my dive? ...

Better to get what you can out of the dive and live to dive another day than take a risk that's too much for your current level of experience and not ever dive again...

SmileMon:
...Having a bottle there will be a bad idea, sometimes I lie almost completely flat on the surface, hovering a feet or two from the surface/corals, the bottle will either kill the corals or I'll be forced to give up on closeups.
Also, what happens if I'm head down? won't that thing just go straight to my face? ...

You didn't sling it right. If you set the bottle up right, it will be snug up against your body and won't cause any problems. Diving with the pony on your back isn't ideal. You said you check for bubbles, but you can't even see the valve. Adding an spg with a hose will only create more hoses for more drag and entanglement hazards. To be honest with you, I don't even see a need for an spg on a pony, but I check the pressure predive, I pressurize the reg and shut the valve down, and the only time I plan on using it is when I'm calling the dive anyway so I know there's enough air in there to get me to the surface. Do yourself a favor and get some more experience before you dive solo again. Solo can be as safe or as dangerous as you make it. It doesn't seem like you know enough about it right now and you're cutting some corners to satisfy your wants. Cutting corners can keep you from getting your needs. I'm not trying to flame you, I'm just seeing a lot of red flags in what you're saying. Nothing down there is worth cutting corners. If you want to dive solo, then do it the right way. If you don't know what the right way is, then don't do it until you learn. TDI offers a solo diver course. I've never taken it, but for someone who doesn't have any local mentors, it might not be a bad class to take. Of course, you'll need to do 76 more dives before you're even eligible. Dive safe!

Dive-aholic:
Better to get what you can out of the dive and live to dive another day than take a risk that's too much for your current level of experience and not ever dive again...

Good advice, I will get some more experience and try to find a book about solo.

I guess its like everything in life, you can do it the right way or you can get yourself killed doing it the wrong way.

Thank you for your time, now I'm off to find information (and perhaps training).

SmileMon:
I did consider slinging it, but I like the front of my body to be clear, that's why I don't have anything in the front (unless you call the tight clip for my octo and pony reg "thing"), everything is either clipped very close or in the BC's pockets.

Having a bottle there will be a bad idea, sometimes I lie almost completely flat on the surface, hovering a feet or two from the surface/corals, the bottle will either kill the corals or I'll be forced to give up on closeups.
Also, what happens if I'm head down? won't that thing just go straight to my face?

Slung correctly they don't hang down in fount of you or basically get in the way of much anything. They are clipped off close and don't hang down. Its more under your arm than across your chest. A bit of elbow english will stop it from doing anything bad if you find yourself in a funny position.

SmileMon:
I can finally say I understand whoever dives solo, its well worth the risks, at least for me.

Sounds like you had a great time. I hope the next one is even better !
Don't let the experience make you think that there are not 'Good Buddy's" to dive with. I have several and we have a ball and it's great to experience the thrill with somebody. I even enjoy helping new people out.
I mean... they went to school but to be with somebody when they have they're first cool Sans instructor dive is just Priceless !! You have a friend for life ! Shoot... with a little bit of time they may even be a better diver then you are !
We all started diving once.
'That said I do hate to Baby Sit !!! ( fool me once.... :evil: )

Being out by yourself sometimes is what life has got to be
ALL ABOUT !

SmileMon:
Thank you for your time, now I'm off to find information (and perhaps training).

Don't overlook a search of the archives in this forum or the board in general. There is a wealth of general as well as much subject specific information on this board, from every spectrum of the dive community. Almost certainly more than you are likely to find in many or any recreational dive library, let alone a book.

You do have to sift through a great deal of irrelevant fluff, endless arguments on pet peeves for divers. Solo being one. Those ponies can run all day too. There is much minutiae, incomplete coverage, partial info presented as the whole, and so forth. Most blatantly false info is usually quickly corrected by someone. Nevertheless, keep your thinking hat on - and you will find a great deal of substance and comprehensive coverage. More than most ever want to know. When you find something that interests you, do other searches, maybe go into a different subject specific forum, or just ask. By narrowing the focus of a quarry you are more likely to get pertinent replies or pointed towards the info.

Don't limit your search exclusively to solo diving. Excluding certain specific buddy issues, anything that improves your diving will make you a better solo diver.

Scuba, I don't ignore the board, but to know what to search for, one needs to have the questions in mind, a book might give me a "walkthrough" on the basics, leaving questions and then I look for the answers.

That's what I did on my OW, Nitrox and now on my AOW, the book usually give you some vague answer to a question you have..

When I did my OW, I read about technical diving, I didn't understand much at the time but every time I read the subject I understand more and more, I guess by the time I'll go to that route, I'll have all the answers in mind, giving the instructor a rest.. :D

Back
Top Bottom