My first solo...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aigtbootbp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
at a small lake in the middle of nowhere. Unfortunately visibility sucked, maybe 2-3 feet so I called it in just a few minutes and went home.
But I will try again as soon as I have the opportunity.

Congrats! I see you've only got 25-49 dives which is pretty low to be solo diving so hopefully you're genuinely ready to do so...I'd like you give you more crap for your limited experience but the truth is: 1, I don't have very many dives either and 2, I started solo diving when I had a whopping 4 dives under my weightbelt. In hindsight that was not the smartest idea, but it was either solo diving or no diving at all...I made my choice and here I am 65 solo dives later neither injured nor dead!

Good job on calling the dive by the way, that's probably the hardest thing to do, but when you're all by your lonesome it's definitely better to be safe than sorry. There have been two times when I knew I shouldn't dive but I got in the water anyway-the first time I ended up getting my mask/snorkel knocked off (never recovered), the other time I lost my dive knife (also never recovered). So now when I know I shouldn't go in the water, I stay out of the fu*king water!

Anyway, be careful out there and don't hesitate to ask any questions...I have found this forum to be very helpful. Lastly I will leave you with the single most important piece of advice an aspiring solo diver can recieve: don't do anything stupid!

Yes Congratz on a successful if short dive. But any dive you come back from is a good one. And yes just like diver doug above I started my solo experience way too fast as well (I've always been a bit... well never mind) Anyway just my bit of caution, I've seen a lot of those "small lakes in the middle of nowhere", and I'd say MOST of them have their own set of dangers, especially as they tend to have low viz, and interesting submerged obstacles such as trees to get tangled in, etc.

Back
Top Bottom