My last stupid question about OW cert dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tparrent

Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, I'll have plenty of not stupid questions but this is the last procedural one.

I seem to recall reading somewhere in the PADI book or perhaps hearing from an instructor that the 4 OW dives are taken two a day on two consecutive days.

Is this necessary or just convenient? Seems like I have read stories here where the dives were seprated by more than a couple days.

The reason I ask is that I will be headed to Ft Lauderdale next week for the dives and my time schedule is a bit tight - ok, VERY tight. I hate working to a schedule but life does occasionally intrude into my hobbies.

I will arrive Thursday and then we plan to dive Friday and Saturday. I will be flying out early Sunday so that I need to be out of the water by 2:30 Saturday to get my 18 hours pre-flight time interval.

Thanks for all the info everyone has provided so far. I know it must be a drag answering the same newbie questions over and over. After I'm not a newbie, I'll take couple shifts answering the questions

If I can do three dives on Friday it would take the time pressure off on Saturday. As far as I know, I will be the only one there for OW cert with an instructor from my LDS. Other guys on the trip are already certified so there should be some flexibility in terms of my formal instruction scheduling.

There is flexibility. No problem.

What you cannot do (at least within the standards) is all 4 dives in one day.

Otherwise, they can be divided up pretty much any way the instructor is willing over any number of days.

theskull

I did mine over three weekends:
one dive for each of the first two weekends, two dives on the third saturday and the exam on sunday.

Talk to your instructor: maybe you can set up a more relaxed schedule.

I don't know what the standards say, but I know that the first time I did three dives in one day, which was during my AOW which I did right after OW, I was so tired at the end of the day that I could barely drag myself out of the water.

If tides and currents permit an early start Saturday morning, it's my personal opinion that you'd be better off doing two dives each day.

The concentration it takes in the beginning to maintain your buoyancy and deal with your gear is very fatiguing.

As said the only real restriction is 3 per day max.

Do be wary of a 3 dive schedule especially with the stress of travel. be sure to arrive well hydrated and to keep it up. As TSandM stated a 3 dive day can whoop you especially as a new diver. I have yet to do a 3 dive day. I've wanted to but I also remember it being almost inconcievable during those first few dozen dives.

What you have going for you is that you will be in milder water conditions hence some lighter gear and training dives are often abreviated. Other than doing what you need to demo you will have some down time while others do their skills and then enjoy some "touring".

I'm not dive travel savy (yet) but I thought the surface time pre flight was 24 hours?

Have a great time, we expect a full report.

Pete

I have to agree that doing 3 dives for OW in one day is pushing a new diver pretty hard. The idea of the OW dives is the learn and practice your skills. If you're exhausted you aren't going to get much out of that 3rd dive, and remember the goal isn't to get the C-card, but to LEARN.

My advice would be to do your 3rd and 4th dives on Saturday morning and be done by 11:00, not 2:30 since you're pushing the 24 hour no-fly time pretty hard.

Did I miss a change in the standard. It has always been no flight for 24 hours after diving as long as I have been in the water. This is the beginning and as the previous quote said learning is the key. Be safe and enjoy it you will remember these first few dives the best so sit back relax and take your time. After all training is not a "GET ER DONE" type deal now is it. "Clampinator"

Didn't time to fly used to be 12 hours?

In any event, I doubt you'll be doing particularly long or aggressive dives. Just tell your instructor the situation and I'm sure he/she will work something out.

I agree, 3 dives might be a little much...
On day 2 of my fiance's OW dives -after the first dive we talked about doing a 3rd on our own since we had all the equipment rented, and air fills were $10. As we slowly drug ourselves out of the quarry after the 2nd dive that day we both looked at each other like "Mmm... No."

If I recall correctly, my PADI CD said 18 hours after repetetive dives, but 24 hours is better. 12 hours for a single dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom