My mistake in buying online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ratherbefishin

Registered
Reaction score
So, after reading a lot of threads and reviews and having experienced Sherwood regulators in my OW class, certification dives, on a charter boat in Cozumel, and then renting a few times, I bought a Sherwood regulator package off of LeisurePro. The price was good and I had some post-holiday money to spend.

The package arrived today and I realized what an idiot I am. :shakehead: I don't have the tools to assemble the octo and the SPG into the first stage. Is this something I should take it to an LDS for? I don't see them being thrilled to service my regs since I obviously bought it online, even if they can charge me for the service.

Advice? Thanks

So, after reading a lot of threads and reviews and having experienced Sherwood regulators in my OW class, certification dives, on a charter boat in Cozumel, and then renting a few times, I bought a Sherwood regulator package off of LeisurePro. The price was good and I had some post-holiday money to spend.

The package arrived today and I realized what an idiot I am. :shakehead: I don't have the tools to assemble the octo and the SPG into the first stage. Is this something I should take it to an LDS for? I don't see them being thrilled to service my regs since I obviously bought it online, even if they can charge me for the service.

Advice? Thanks

All you need is a set of Hex wrenches and a wrench. But if you don't have these tools or not sure what tools you need then I suggest you go to your local dive shop and have them setup everything for you and inspect it all prior to diving.

Just know that the LDS may be too happy that you purchased from an online shop rather than them then brought the gear to them. Many shops will be nice and take it as a chance to educate you and try gain you as a new customer. Some shops however will frown at you and treat you like you have the plague. Just FYI...

Also all you do is unscrew the appropriate plugs from the first stage and screw the hoses (HP or LP) in. Then tighten with a wrench till snug (just snug.... no superman powers needed).

Advice? Thanks

I see that you are located in Durham. I live in Wake Forest and do a lot of business with Water World in Durham. Even though some of the equipment I dive with is not a brand they carry, they have always been more than helpful in any situation I have come across. They are one of the better/best LDS in my opinion. I feel sure that if you go see them, they will be glad to help you out. Like you said, they will probably charge some fee for the service but I think that's a small price to pay to make sure it's done correctly and for your own piece of mind. See Warren or Eric and they will set you up. SCUBA Diving certification equipment travel forum bulletin board

And by the way, we are having our monthly dive club meeting in Durham Thursday night so please join us. We'd love to have you.

Be aware that there is only one High Pressure (HP) port on the first stage (heavy thingy that is all chrome) and that is the port that the high pressure hose with the gauge screws into.

With the first stage in you hand hold it with teh knob toward you. That is how it goes on the tank and thus designates the right and left side of the first stage.

High Pressure port and low pressure inflator hose go on the left side. The second stage regulators go on the right side. I like the safe second (octopus) on the lower port because I put it onder my right arm. Same with the pressure gauge under my left arm.

The high pressure port will have a larger diameter thread. Just look at the ends of your SPG and octo hoses. See how they are a different diameter?

There's no way in the world you can put it together in such a way that a LP device is connected to a HP port.

There are handy-dandy Scuba Tools that have the requisite wrenches and hex keys: http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-37/031459/Scuba-Tool-Master.html They are fine for your dive kit. I prefer to use the real wrenches and allen wrenches when I work at home. It will be worth your while to go to the corner hardware store and buy the proper tools. Take your regulator, octo, SPG and inflator hose with you. Some hoses take metric wrenches, come take imperial. Don't be surprised if you need both.

Richard

Last edited:
A good adjustable wrench and an inexpensive set of allen wrenches is all you really need. Less than $10 worth of tools and if you dive long you will find plenty of uses for them.
Remove the plugs you need removed, HAND INSTALL the hoses until they seat on the Orings then tighten them a little. They just need to be snugg, there is no reason at all to crank down on them. Remember that the Orings do the sealing and do not need to be nor should they be super tight. If hoses leak, there is an Oring or mating surface problem tighting the hoses more will not fix the problem and you may do damage. The HP/console hose will be larger than the second stage hoses plus if you look into the first stage hole, the HP port will have a very tiny hole at the back, any second stage/LP hose ports will have much larger holes in the ports.
This is simple as long as you install the hoses by hand and don't over tighten them....go easy.

I know this is after the fact, but LP would have assembled everything for you for free, if you had only asked.

Advice? Thanks

I tell you what, you send me that reg and I will do it for you.

N

You're not an idiot for buying on line, many thousands of successful gear purchases have been made there. Tongue-in-cheek, though, you are an idiot for thinking you can't assemble it yourself. Relax, just kidding!

It's very easy, easier than tying your shoes. Much easier than tying a tie. Much, much easier than setting up a computer to get online in the first place.

Remove the plugs with an allen wrench, screw in the 2nd stage, octo, LP inflator hose, and SPG. Hand tight plus a little more with a wrench, only enough so it won't come loose on it's own. If you put them in the wrong place, i.e. reg hose routing to the left and LP inflator to the right, take them out and switch it around.

BDSC,
I actually went by Water World today to look for wetsuit hangers. I left mine on a cruise ship months ago. The guy that was working was very polite and helpful, not pushy like I've seen in other LDS. I took his card and was looking at their website, maybe doing AOW with them when I have less going on at work (although hopefully not by being laid off as we found out yesterday was coming). Does the club meet every Thursday or whats the schedule like?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom