My Multi-Section PVC Pipe PoleCam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RockyHeap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
As the photo/video-grapher in the family, I'm NEVER in any of the clips, so with my new GoPro2, I made a 2-piece polecam that works AWESOME, portable and packable in luggage, and delivers GREAT self video and allows skimming over a reef not scaring the fish, as me the evil intrusive diver is ~5-6 feet away yet the camera is in the fish/coras face just inches away.

PVC fittings = ~$5-6bucks.

Major Sweet UltraLightControlSystem ball head/clamps = $100 (ouch $$$, but it's worth it, as it provides multi-angle cam position angles) On my still camera rig, I also run the ULCS ball system, so I can add the gopro2 in-between arms, via a 3 ball clamp.

All 3/4" pvc pipe parts:

POLE CAM PARTS/COMPONENTS, starting from left to right in attached photo

Screw on extension arm:

1) glue-on Female cap
2) ~20" of thick wall PVC pipe3
3) glue-on female to 3/4" thread female

Main Pole Cam arm:

1) Threaded Female Cap
2) Male thread to Female glue-on
3) ~20" thick wall pvc pipe
4) Glue-on female/female coupling.
5) Male flat head glued plug.

ULCS Male Stud mount ball fitting.
ULCS clamp
ULCS GoPro Mount.

Drill a 1/4" hole in the Flat head Male Plug PVC fitting, affix ULCS ball mount with nut on the inside of the Male Plug, then glue in place.

If you want to use just the one main section, thread on the female cap, and a wrist strap cord fits perfect in between the cap and male thread.

to add the section section, remove the female cap, and thread the second arm onto the first arm.

I found this total ~48" length section to be great to capture 2-3 divers side by side by holding out at extended arms length. Careful to not shake your hand or the PVC arm too much, as even at 720x60fps you can introduce a little wiggle.

But as a diver, swimming 5 foot off the bottom, you can have the camera 2-3" off the coral or stick it under rocks / ledges to capture normally skitterish fish, as you're far enough away to not spook them.

the one or two sections of PVC pipe make for GREAT self portrait giant stride entry videos too. (I don't have a YouTube account yet, but if someone who does wants to PM me an email addy, I can send you a short 12 second 8 meg file of a polecam giant stride entry to post on youtube for everyone to view.

Go to the GoPro Section here for ULCS parts:

http://www.ulcs.com/

Pics shot in Hawaii, so it's a fitting dive post!!!

P1010837.jpg

P1010834.jpg

Nice head mount. Though why would you drop $100 on the head mount, and not $15-30 on a good adjustable pole?

I like the idea. I've been considering a GoPro for an upcoming Bahamas trip...

Any link or suggestion for the adjustable pole?

I was in a photography store a while ago and picked up a Manfrotto monopod on a whim. I came home later and found it referenced online as being great for the gopro underwater. I love it on land so far, I should have a nice underwater review in about 3 weeks! I just still have to drill a few holes in it so water can drain out. Collapsed is about 16", extended is 58".

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VEJYEO...nd=1665299377184347993&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

This is what I just ordered, should be here Wed/Th this week:

iPole Mini - FastCap - Woodworking Tools

ipole-mini-main-370x336.png

I like the fact that the guy who owns FastCap is an avid diver, & avid GoPro user, with videos of him and others using the ipole......sold me pretty quick!

The 9-43" was nice as well as when compacted, it seems to be VERY compact.

DO NOTE: You have to order a GoPro tripod mount I think to make this pole work. I got one of Amazon, when it all gets here this week I will post up pics and initial thoughts. I plan on using this for above and below water filming.

There is also a lockable pole he has:

http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=43796&idcategory=0

I just ordered that for videoing paintball so the camera won't roll at all. Both products look like they will work well.

This is what I just ordered, should be here Wed/Th this week:

iPole Mini - FastCap - Woodworking Tools

ipole-mini-main-370x336.png

I like the fact that the guy who owns FastCap is an avid diver, & avid GoPro user, with videos of him and others using the ipole......sold me pretty quick!

The 9-43" was nice as well as when compacted, it seems to be VERY compact.

DO NOTE: You have to order a GoPro tripod mount I think to make this pole work. I got one of Amazon, when it all gets here this week I will post up pics and initial thoughts. I plan on using this for above and below water filming.

There is also a lockable pole he has:

Stealth iPole - FastCap - Woodworking Tools

I just ordered that for videoing paintball so the camera won't roll at all. Both products look like they will work well.

You can order the same production item direct for a third the price at Stainless Steel Retractable Monopod for Digital Camera - WorldWide Free Shipping. Be warned, the screw that locks the head angle will rust in salt water.

Thanks for the info! I will see if I can source a corrosion resistant screw before I leave from a fastenal or grainger or something! Should be here in a day or 2.

Thanks all for the links for the expandable rods...........

As I said, I have $5-6 bucks into PVC. I keep it simple, and don't need infinate adjustment of rod length.

Mine never will rust, with both pipe sections threaded together it's slightly positive buoyant, slightly negative with only one section.

The pvc is super rigid, I'm wondering how much flex will occur with those expando thin wall stainless or aluminum tube units say when putting them underwater while a boat is in motion (yes I captured rotating prop cam on our liveaboard at 3-5 knots)

Thanks Hamill for posting my youtube links.

cheers.

Back
Top Bottom