My new G250Vs and ramblings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the others. If you're happy with the way they breathe & they have a good solid flow call it good.

If you MUST mess with them again: You've already played musical springs-move on to the lever.

In a perfect world, there should be a tiny gap between the lever and the diaphragm disk. It can be done, but it's important to start out with the correct lever height. Have another look at this:

Now that we have a known good lever installed, the cracking effort is where we want it, and the air barrel assembly is installed, guess what? It’s time to do another lever height check. Again?! Yes, but this time it’s even easier. Simply place the diaphragm over the lever and inspect it for fit. The outside edge of the diaphragm should sit in the case with no gaps around the periphery and no wrinkles in the skirt.

View attachment 634213

If you could see underneath the diaphragm, you would notice the disk is just resting on the lever arms.

I cannot advise you to modify the expensive lever, but...

You know I will continue messing with them until I figure this out. I want a violent free flow damn it.

Ok, so after building so many but keeping none for myself decided I'd attempt 2 more.

With prices skyrocketing and parts availability looking sketchy. Between my dealer and two others I managed to get all the parts to make two.

SP say the blue valve is NLA although my dealer has ordered some and says they will be blue, time will tell.

SP changed part number to a clear 11.261.103p as a replacement. I got three, I'm calling BS on SP, I measured them with a micrometer and they are identical in size to the G260 11.250.103, so looks like despite the different part number SP are now simply subbing G250V ones with G260 ones, which by the way are fractionally smaller than the original blue G250V ones.

Previous customers were advised, I used 3 G260 valves IIRC on the last batch of G250Vs I made as the G250V ones were NLA and SP "unofficially" said they would work. No one has complained of wet breathing so I assume even though fractionally smaller they do work, I'll find out for myself after I get mine in the water.

As also noted by @Geo7 I cannot initiate violent free flow with viva on max on either one, I know all the previous ones I made did coz it's one of the final tests I do. What's happened? I tried flipping the flow vane a la G250HP so crescent was facing back of diaphragm, same result, zero free flow.

Lever height is correct, zero rattle, cracking at 1", all OEM parts. The only difference is I used .218 springs instead of the usual .216 springs, could this be causing it? I will swap out spring for a .216 at some point to test myself but if anyone can shed any light on this I'd be most appreciative.

A massive thank you to @tridacna for helping source parts at much more reasonable prices than I could on most items and an apology for the headache it ended up causing him and I know he ended up out of pocket. A massive thank you to @Geo7 for very kindly, at no expense to me, sourcing and gifting 2 halo jam nuts on his dime, I owe you both big time. A thank you to @rsingler for his willingness to assist should the need have arisen.

Here they are. I paired them with a pretty all chrome Apeks FSR I unsealed for ease of servicing, the black and red decal paint fell off, I prefer the all chrome aesthetic. It's my warm water dream travel set. Note the custom chrome yoke knob.

Once again, thanks a million to you guys that helped make this possible.

Take care

Merry Christmas
Simon

View attachment 632648 View attachment 632649 View attachment 632650 View attachment 632651 View attachment 632652 View attachment 632653
The photos look great.
I use one of those G250V's as my primary.

I flow tested awhile back both of my G250V one from Rob, and the other one from eBay both in great condition. At 15 SCFM the one with crescent facing diaphragm (R) inhalation effort .3 - the one facing shank inhalation effort 1.1 both VIVA on Max. With VIVA off Rob’s 1.6, eBay 1.9 @ 15 SCFM.

I'm not working Friday, have a tank of air a ton of both .218 and .216 springs and one free flowing G250V, I'll play till my fingers bleed or go insane, which ever comes first ...

Back
Top Bottom