My Non-Certification Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great news! It's wonderful that you found the right milieu for you to finish your class.

Just a word from those of us who do teach "at home" -- not all instructors or classes are like the one you took, and not all resort classes are as good as the one you report. Good classes and instructors are to be found in many places, as, sadly, are bad ones. (BTW, my husband's favorite way of taking students through skills is just the way you describe -- going on a tour and stopping from time to time to demonstrate things.)

I didn't read all the comments but I wanted to tell you.... Your not a lone. I had a similar poor instructor/dive shop experience. If I wasn't so sure I was born to dive I would have quit. However I feel that you should look into private classes. Had I known then what I know now (still a newbie, but full of backwards looking knowledge) I'd just toss down the cash and pay to have just me and my partner go with an instructor to a pool and get comfortable. Just dive the pool, breathe awhile, do your mask skills, and dive skills. I also agree with you to hit some warm water. I found our lake class location to be a horrible, cold, dark place which didn't help my learning while nervous about something new. Good luck :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom