My own lube stick!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HeXx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi!
So, as per the title.
There are quite a few options in terms of zipper lubricants but when it comes to solid lubricants, they usually only sell a lump of paraffin wax that is not very convenient to handle and apply on zippers. Too small the hold and rub on and too large to fit between the flaps around the zipper.
So I made my own with bees wax as a filler.
The filler can be renewed by simply melting more wax and filling it directly, although I think one stick will probably last a lifetime.
Works like a deodorant stick ou glue stick, in which you turn the bottom to protrude more wax.
If there's interest I can make the STL files available or sell them directly already filled with bees wax.
IMG_20221108_215105.jpg

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20221108_215139.jpg
    IMG_20221108_215139.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20221108_215404.jpg
    IMG_20221108_215404.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20221108_215654.jpg
    IMG_20221108_215654.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 52
Isn't parafin to be used on brass zippers? And silicone lube on plastic ones?

Great idea for the wax, but a better and more precise applicator would be a Labello tube.

Isn't parafin to be used on brass zippers? And silicone lube on plastic ones?

Great idea for the wax, but a better and more precise applicator would be a Labello tube.
From what I read, wax can be used on any zipper.
Labello tube is round and with a wide diameter, hard to fit between the neoprene flaps around the zipper, hence why I designed it oval.
IMG_20221108_225614.jpg

From what I read, wax can be used on any zipper.
Labello tube is round and with a wide diameter, hard to fit between the neoprene flaps around the zipper, hence why I designed it oval.
Got it.

I don't know what's the recommendation for the plastic YKK aquaseal, but on my Tzip they specifically said yo use onlu silicone lube on the docker end and remove the debris from the zipper before operating it.

Hi!
So, as per the title.
There are quite a few options in terms of zipper lubricants but when it comes to solid lubricants, they usually only sell a lump of paraffin wax that is not very convenient to handle and apply on zippers. Too small the hold and rub on and too large to fit between the flaps around the zipper.
So I made my own with bees wax as a filler.
The filler can be renewed by simply melting more wax and filling it directly, although I think one stick will probably last a lifetime.
Works like a deodorant stick ou glue stick, in which you turn the bottom to protrude more wax.
If there's interest I can make the STL files available or sell them directly already filled with bees wax.
View attachment 752543

Cheers
I often use 1 ounce "sticks" of beeswax on my brass zipper. The larger oval shape could be nice in winter. Thanks for that!

DW

I wonder if the slightly caustic nature of soap could affect the brass long term.
That other diver that I'm thinking @Marie13 is talking about says him and his wife have been doing it on their brass zippers for 5 years and over 300 dives without issue. He said his zipper works and looks great. He stores the suit with the zipper closed and covered in the soap.

I know that's not a scientific answer.

@HeXx awesome design.. make it public. Did you make a cap for it to be thrown in a bag?

That other diver that I'm thinking @Marie13 is talking about says him and his wife have been doing it on their brass zippers for 5 years and over 300 dives without issue. He said his zipper works and looks great. He stores the suit with the zipper closed and covered in the soap.

I know that's not a scientific answer.

@HeXx awesome design.. make it public. Did you make a cap for it to be thrown in a bag?
Thank's @rob.mwpropane I did not design a cap as you can always retract the wax back to the stick. Didn't think it would be needed.
Here you go.
Cheers

Attachments

• body.STL
    58.7 KB · Views: 57
  • screw.STL
    21 KB · Views: 56
  • tray.STL
    30.4 KB · Views: 48
I think that's a very clever solution with the wax. Granted the little hotel soaps idea sounds good too.
I retired all my dry suits but we deal with plenty of zippers around the boat.

When I saw the container, it reminded me of empty containers I've seen for sale on Amazon. For barbarians like me without a 3-D printer.

or the oval-shaped

Back
Top Bottom