My rig is too heavy underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fota

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

My D-SLR macro rig (Ikelite system with dual strobes and a rather heavy focus light) is way too heavy underwater. I'm having major problems holding it with one hand (especially with the trigger hand while shooting). I don't want to replace any of the strobes or the focus light.

Anyone have any ideas how to make it lighter in the water?
Adding cork or other materials? etc

Thanks,
Fota

Tubular Strobe arms. (adds + buoyancy)

Pool Noodles and Zip ties work too at about one-zillionth of the price of buoyancy arms. If you want black you can use that foam pipe insulation on your current arms.

---
Ken

Pool Noodles and Zip ties work too at about one-zillionth of the price of buoyancy arms. If you want black you can use that foam pipe insulation on your current arms.

---
Ken

Thanks. I am actually having the same problem with my ike housing for D20 and two ds-125 strobes. I was wondering how well something like pool noodles works? Are the pool noodles too big in diameter? Is there something that works better? I'm sure eventually I will invest in new arms that will be better, but for now I already just spent almost 4K for everything and can't bring myself to spend more on new arms. Any advice would help.

Thanks,

Michelle

This is how I solved the problem with my video rig.
The tubes I made added just under two pounds of lift. I'm not sure if you can do the same thing but I would imagine you could adapt it to a tray system as well.

DSC02670Med.JPG

If you already have ULCS arms, you can purchase these Stix floats to slip on. More expensive then the pool noodle solution, but they will not compress at depth, and will last longer than the pool noodles. I don't have them myself, but I'll be getting a set soon. They've been extensively field tested, with very positive results.

4th Generation Designs - Products

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom