My test dive with a Nikon D200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HowardE

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi there. So I've been thinking about getting a DSLR, and thanks to my buddy Ryan at Reef Photo in Fort Lauderdale, I was lucky enough to be able to try out the D200 for 2 days of diving. I used the Nikon D200 in the Sea & Sea DX200 housing, with an Inon Z220 strobe. I had the 60mm Nikkor lens on the camera body.

I thought the camera was great. It was very easy to use. It was really my first experience with a DSLR, and I hadn't shot with an SLR camera in about 10 years, since I last used a Nikon F4. The overall functions of the camera were very simple to use. It focused very quickly, and the housing had a focus lock which made it really easy to keep fish in focus.

Since I was experimenting, I mostly shot in Manual mode, but used P mode, and TTL as well to see what it was all about. The TTL worked really well, and out of the 180 pictures per day that I took, there were a lot of good ones, IMO, but I'm certainly no expert.

Overall, the housing was really awesome, and comparing it side by side to the ikelite, I see why the S&S is twice as much as the Ike. Although, since I'm not a pro, I'd probably go for the ike housing over the S&S, since I can buy the housing, and 2 DS-125's for the price of the S&S (or Subal) housing alone (without ports).

Looking through the viewfinder was no problem either, and the view screen on the D200 is HUGE compared to the Canon 20D which was my other potential choice. There are many other reasons why I think I'm going to get the D200 over the 20D hands down. Putting name brands aside. The menu functions on the Canon seem harder to use, with the wheel, vs the Nikon's - as well as several other important features. Granted the Nikon is a few hundred bucks more, but it was a very impressive camera overall.

Here's some of the pictures I took... Any honest criticism would be fine with me. I don't claim to be an expert, but I think they're pretty darn good for a first attempt.

trunkfish.jpg

damsel-1.jpg

bug.jpg

damsel.jpg

braincoral.jpg

saddled.jpg

grunts.jpg

christmastree.jpg

shrimp.jpg

bluesteel.jpg

blenny2.jpg

Amazing shots Howard! I have seen the D200, and it seems to be a much more "pro" camera than the D70 I am using. Meaning, it isn't as "point and shoot" like, and I would guess requires more concentration. The shots are really clear, and you have some rather intersting fish behavior there. You have me envious over both the camera, and the scenery. Please, don't buy the camera, and stop posting pictures. :D

photohikedive:
Please, don't buy the camera, and stop posting pictures. :D

This is one of the most convincing arguments FOR getting the camera :laughing:

Seriously... thanks :wink:

howarde:
This is one of the most convincing arguments FOR getting the camera :laughing:

Seriously... thanks :wink:

You killed Kenny, YOU ******......... well, obviously you didn't kill Kenny, but, I think the rest is relevant :mooner:

Great... Just confirm something...
How did you TTLed it on the S&S housing?
Also, do you have any picture of the camera in the housing?

Mariozi:
Great... Just confirm something...
How did you TTLed it on the S&S housing?
Also, do you have any picture of the camera in the housing?
There is a TTL converter (seperate thing that goes inline)

housing.jpg

nice... very nice... thanks!

My housing arrives next week - have got to go diving!!

Great pics, hope mine turn out as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom