My transition to doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suppose another consideration is whether you (carrielsal) ever plan to move to steel tanks. If so, you'll want that extra lift.

John....... I love my Zeagle #55 wing, had no problems using it for single tank diving either! I much prefer a #55 over a smaller unit,,,,, now that I am diving doubles only plus all the other tanks and gear you have to carry on some dives! Course each diver must be comfy with what works best for them as you would agree. Your instructor is your first level of advise,,,,,the rest of us are just chatter-LOL . Several of us are trully trying to add good input to consider. Best of luck and you will find that solution 'in time'. :D

I suppose another consideration is whether you (carrielsal) ever plan to move to steel tanks. If so, you'll want that extra lift.

I have 2 faber95's that are just sitting around in the garage. Maybe one day. I think at this point I am overwhelmed on what my annual service costs will be on this gear. I think I now have 8 tanks and 5 regs. :confused:

There are 2 things I will never do. Total up all the money I have spent, and determine what the doubles rig weighs out of the water. I just don't want to know. :shakehead:

I'm going to need to learn to do a lot of this maintenance myself.

That just doesn't make any sense unless the wing is flapping around because it's not a bungeed wing. That shouldn't cause a slew of buoyancy and trim problems though, just drag. Of course, it is a Halcyon, and from what I understand from those who have drank the Kool-aid those bungeed wings will KILL YOU. Am I right, Alan? :rofl3:

Hm, wasn't talking about the bouyancy and trim issues. Really was thinking of the extra drag and difficulty venting. However, you're probably right. I don't have the experience or knowledge with it. I've only dove doubles twice and with a 40#, so I don't know what the comparison would be and was just making an observation.

Good luck, Carrie.

Speaking for myself.
When planning your gas needs you can see the time and depth that you have covered on a prior dive and know how your RMV is and what your breathing gas consumption is at depth. Of course this is taking into account that you are monitoring your start and finish gas pressures.

In caves you end up with a mirror image since you are turning around and heading back through the same route you entered. Again this provides specific times and depth points. This can be of assistance when planning future dives and for decompression.

Also this unit cannot be locked out and can be downloaded at a chamber if you really gumby the dive.

It helps with divers and maintaining decompression stop points. You can change the time it records the information and see if you are holding your decompression stop or if you are drifting up and down in the water.

Some divers have used it to compare how they feel after a deco dive and compare the ascent rate profile to other dives. Did they miss a stop or was their a gradient gas buildup in a specific tissue group because they came up between two points too quickly.

If on vacation or training- you can track the usual points from your notes and computer and compare it to your Ultra unit.

If you believe in maintaining certain profiles then you can review that when you download the information.

I will eventually will be buying one for all the reasons I mention also if you forget to track a dive you catch it when you download the data.

Just my thoughts.
Best of luck and enjoy the journey.
Andrew

k-valve...I had looked at the Sensus in the past. What benefit does this give you for logging? Is it because your VR3's will not synch?

Carrie

k-valve...I had looked at the Sensus in the past. What benefit does this give you for logging? Is it because your VR3's will not synch?

Carrie
For me it's because of the syncing issues with the VR3s mainly. I was simply citing some general reasons you might consider. The Sensus Ultras are reliable and fairly inexpensive. Crazyduck gave a bunch of good reasons too.

Hm, wasn't talking about the bouyancy and trim issues. Really was thinking of the extra drag and difficulty venting. However, you're probably right. I don't have the experience or knowledge with it. I've only dove doubles twice and with a 40#, so I don't know what the comparison would be and was just making an observation.

Good luck, Carrie.

I'm guessing here, but I bet some of the venting issues are related to trim. The drag can be an issue...but that can mostly be taken out of the picture by choosing a bungeed wing. I don't like the way OMS does theirs, but I do like the way DiveRite does it with their SuperWing...less chance for entanglement. Although I've always found that if I am moving forward into something and get caught up it has always worked well to back up and get out of it. :wink:

Zeagle has a great system of controling larger #55 wings without bungie... (even though the bungie is not for that reason, it still services that purpose.) I am never in a big hurry so the small amout of drag a #55 wing might creat does not come in play even with DPV's for me (and by the waty I do not own my own DPV---dang it!)......many other items creat greater problems in the area of drag a diver will carry at this stage of diving. Streamlining is very important for reasons you have learned from Layne I am sure or just as K-Valve he is in your area and knows.

I had a funny thing happen to me once with my #55 wings,,,,as you can figure they do stick out at the sides a wee bit more than say a smaller recreational wing, well I had entered a boat and dicide to investigate a particular room......I got stuck half way through the hatch/door way as my wing was somewhat full.....hmmmmmm, do I push on through and risk a tear or hole (not good),,,,so I did like a few truck drivers do when encountering bridges just a little low to pass under....I dumped just enough gas from my wings to easly slip though the opening. What a sight I must have been for those few moments..LOL!!!

The SensusPro has the great advantage of working on Macs!!

Carrielsal, I dont think a 40/55 pound wing makes much difference when it comes to trim. I have a 40 you could borrow if you want.

I know a guy in town who will do VIP's for the cost of a sixpack :D (not me)

VIP's isn't so bad, but the O2 cleaning is really adding up. I may take you in on the offer of trying out your 40# wing in the near future. I have always worn BC's and I am now a convert to bp and wings :D

Carrie

Back
Top Bottom