My Turn!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom

Contributor
Reaction score
I'll be leaving for the Denver Airport, which is actually closer to Kansas, tomorrow as soon as I get off work. A 6am flight on Friday and a week in Cozumel. See you guys the 1st of April.

Don and Warhammer, I know we had plans but my carry-on is full. Sorry.

Tom

Tom,

Be sure to try the French Quarter for a meal--the best food in town. !Buen viaje!

Joewr

Tom,

It just won't be the same without us on the trip, but anyway have a good time and bring back lots of stories.

Also to see lots of sand sharks take a night dive at the old international pier, they sleep in the old underwater concrete structures.

Been reports of hammerheads off of Santa Rosa Wall.

C-ya when you get back.

Bony noses

ID

Made it in about 3 this morning. Trip home took 36 hours and unscheduled trips to Atlanta, Lexington and Cincinatti, (trying to get to Denver) but we did get $3800 voucher from Delta Airlines. My wife can negotiate with the best of them. Now the next trip or two is paid for.

Had a great time. I'll put up a report later today.

Ayesa - tried to answer your email but you need to give an address or enable messaging - otherwise no answer. We dive with Cristina Roman and the Anita Divers. Stayed at Fiesta Americana this time due to non-divers along. Usually at Hacienda San Miguel for diving only trips.

Tom

Great trip - all the usual problems. Travel went smooth on the way down (but a 6am flight when you live 3 hours from the airport is not convienient). The hotel said they never heard of us when we got there, even though we had the fax confirmation and a copy of the email in our hand. They even found us in thier computer with the dates listed but still denied knowing we were coming. The desk clerk seemed to understand this logic better than I did. They did find us a place to stay and moved us to a better room the next day, which is another story all by itself.

A day on the beach and then on to diving. The first day was a leasurely drift around Columbia. Hoped to find some cowfish, midnight parrots, and squirrelfish sometime this trip and they were everywhere. What a way to start. Now I can finish a few carving projects. About halfway through the dive, 4 turtles came up beside and swam with us for several minutes before fading off to the side. Good visibility, 79 degrees, lots to see. This was also the first "real" dive for my 15 yoa son after his cert dives in Utah a few weeks ago. He did great and loves it. The second dive was at Tunich Point. I had one ear that wouldn't clear no matter what I did, signaled to the people below, recieved an acknowledgement from my wife and the divemaster, and went back to the boat after about six minutes of trying and a max depth of 14 feet. Didn't miss much though. The current was so strong it was more like an amusement park ride. Everybody was back in less than 30 minutes exhausted.

The second day was the best. My kind of diving. Columbia and Palancar Horseshoe. Clear, calm, low current, time to look for the little critters. Found some arrow crabs, watched the blennies, some toadfish, lots of little guys darting around. A few barracuda helped us with our safety stop. Such an enjoyable day we went back to the hotel and snorkeled for a few hours. A short break on the beach and back out for another hour or so at sunset. No coral, a few sponges on the rocks, but lots of fish. Schools of sargeant-majors and blue tangs. The little yellow babies are aweful cute. Parrot fish all over the place. About sunset we saw a spotted eel, a porcupine fish, and several small rays.

Day 3 the current was up a little again but still not bad. San Francisco Wall was covered with squirrelfish and midnight parrots. The highlight was the eagle ray that came and circled us 3 times. Pretty close when he went by your side of the group. Everybody came upright and did 360's as he went around. Then just as fast it was gone. So gracefull. Just amazing. Second dive was at Delila. Slow, easy. Lots to see. Splendid toadfish. Some of the biggest angels I've seen.

Had dinner at The French Quarter. I wouldn't call it my favorite place in Cozumel but a very good meal. Great service. I will go back.

A day at Xcaret. Neat place. Lots of walking. Been there twice now. Probably won't go back for a while.

Last day of diving. Wind was howling from the southeast. Couldn't go to far south. Did the Santa Rosa Wall. Current was a little heavy for me but I enjoyed it. Lots of cowfish. Saw some baby trunkfish but couldn't stay and watch for long. Quite an adventure getting back on the boat. Last dive was at Yucab. Less current so I could look at things. Lots to see. A nurse shark. Spotted eels. And my favorites, all the little guys. Butterflies, blueheads, fairy basslets, yellowtail damsels.

As we were loading the taxi to go home, I looked up at the fifth floor and saw a sparkly gold leopard print wetsuit hanging to dry on a balcony.

Thirty six hours later we made it home. That's a story for another time.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom