Mysterious white blobs all over algae reef in devon, UK.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bexy

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Can anyone help me with this identification dilemma?

The white blobs in this picture are absolutely everywhere on the bedrock reefs outside of Plymouth, UK. Does anyone have a clue what they are? They almost look colonial but colonies never appear larger than seen here (approx 2-3cm) while individual blobs seem to be literally everywhere, though often aggregating in dense patches. They seem to be attached to the substrate, algae,... practically anything!

I've only encountered them on photic (algae dominated) reefs at around 20m depth. I'm stumped! Any clues??

Attachments

• pp13-2010-10-25-13-44-51-0005UWEO.jpg
    pp13-2010-10-25-13-44-51-0005UWEO.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 120
At this resolution they look like Tunicate colonies, but without a closer look I can't say for sure.
Rick

Jim, thanks I've taken your advice and made a post on Glaucus.

Rick, I think they look like colonial tunicates also, I'm just amazed at how prolific they are if that is what they are...

Attachments

• pp13-2010-10-25-13-44-51-0115.jpg
    pp13-2010-10-25-13-44-51-0115.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 82
Just a guess here, no solid idea really, but to my eyes on the first closer picture they look like whelk egg-cases but much much smaller. Can they be the ribbon/coil like egg-cases of some small marine snail that likes to feed on this algae?

... egg-cases ...
I think that's the next most probable thing. We just need a better picture :)
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom