Mystery Food Fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr.X

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
New York City's Chinatown has a wide variety of marine animals for sale. Once they even had giant deep sea isopods and on occasion fresh Bombay Duck! :shocked2:

I bought this little guy for a dissection lesson. He was fresh vs. previously frozen like most non-US caught fish found in Chinatown. Leads me to the thought it might be a aquaculture product? The fish measures from snout to caudal peduncle about 10" (25 cm). Pronounced spikes on dorsal and anal fins.

Thanks in advance.

X Unknown fish.jpg

Maybe some type of tilapia? Easier to tell if the fins were spraad out more.

Looks like a Diapterus Plumiera, Striped Mojarra They are usually used for bait, don't know if they are any good to eat. Cheers

Hi Vincent and Steve,

Thanks for your input. And Vincent - it is a Striped Mojarra!!! I have never seen these guys underwater as I tend to dive the Pacific Northwest and East Coast US. When I retire I'll have to make it a point to dive Florida more.

Thanks again and mystery solved. :D Striped Mojarra - TribeNwater

Cheers

Mr. X

Back
Top Bottom