N-19 & Viper Battery Specs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

betti154

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've got an N-19 that I'm wanting to upgrade to a lithium ion battery solution, and likely the new Venom control system if it's compatible.

Does anyone know the acceptable voltage range (high and low) for the motor and Venom controller?

Venom control system states 18v cut-off, suggesting 6S lithium; but the Viper manual states a full charge of 28.5V. Factory packs come in Life and Lipo chemistries, so matching the Lipo format should be easiest in LiIo 18650s.

My working assumption is that 28.5V is peak charge for Life pack, so real question is whether the factory LiPo packs are 6S?

Thanks in advance, Damien

The viper was originally available as a 20ah LiFe battery pack which is an 8s configuration, and as a 30ah LiPo which is a 7s configuration.

Due to a rash of quality issues with the LiFe Packs on the Viper and UV40 which I am unfortunately dealing with now, the LiFe packs are no longer available and have been replaced with a 7s LiPo pack with 20ah.

You can use a 6s pack with no issues however it will be slower than it was as a N19 where the 7s packs give it a bit of a speed bump.

Quite a few divers have replaced the battery with a life pack from PingBattery LiFePO4 Lithium Battery Packs for Electric Bicycle and they've been running well. Some modifications for the 30ah variants for trim like putting foam on the shrouds, but they've been working well.
Battery space can make custom packs as well and this one is pretty similar to the Viper 20 pack now. You'd have to ask for custom connectors on it for charge and discharge, but if you want to go LiPo that's about the best option I know of
Custom Polymer Li-ion Battery: 25.9V 20Ah (518Wh, 40A rate) with 45A Anderson connector

Awesome, thank you.

7S it’ll be then...

Kind Regards, Ds

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom