Name that fish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetDawg

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Need some help settling an argument please:

What kind of grouper is this Red or Nassau:

red_grouper.jpg

Just guessing it's a Nassau.....but I'm Canadian, and we don't see many Groupers up our way :D

I would say that it is a Nassau grouper.

Nassau, contest should be over, did you win a beer? :)

Sometimes grouper are just very ill defined from their color/pattern, and one must fall back to morphology alone.
The Nassau grouper has a distinct notch between the forward spines of the dorsal fin, while the red does not. The picture appears to have the smooth profile of the Red...
The Nassau grouper has a distinctive dark spot on the dorsal just forward of the tail, where the red does not. The picture does not... 2-0 in favor of the Red.
However... grouper in the genus Epinephelus are not unknown to interbreed and there are occasional hybrids.
But all things considered, my vote goes to Epinephelus morio, the Red Grouper.
E

I say 100% Epinephelus morio. I have seen this pattern many times when they are stressed.
This fish also has the indicative black margin on the caudal fin of a red.

RED ... Black margin on tail edge, smooth undulate shape of back fin, no saddle at base of tail, and display pattern more of a RED. The Nassau has that bar/line from snout through eye to back top of head also, but the rest of the pattern is not at all like this pic. This is a Red's pattern

Epinephelus wins!

That is a red grouper. The three easiest ways to tell are the lack of the black spot "saddle" at the base of its tail. The other more difficult way to tell is by looking at the dorsal fin. The red grouper has a dorsal fin that is unique among the grouper/hind family. It is the only species the has the third spine shorter than the second creating a "straight" line. Finally on the nassau grouper there is a "tuning fork" shaped pale marking on the forehead of the fish that is not seen in this pic.

Sources: http://www.safmc.net/FishIDandRegs/F...3/Default.aspx

http://indian-river.fl.us/fishing/fish/groupnas.html

Back
Top Bottom