Narc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm with Michael and Dennis. 1 meter = 1.083 yards (give or take 1/2 inch). 26 meters X 1.083 = 28.16 yards X 3 = almost 85 feet. It has only happened once, but I experienced tunnel vision at 85 feet, diving on 36% EAN. I don't believe it was O tox because it was my first and only dive of the day and my PPO2 for that dive was about 1.2. The gas was checked once I mentioned my experience to the DM and the Dive shop, and it was found not to be contaminated. I did not consume any alcohol the night before, but I only got about 5 hrs of sleep. Perhaps that had something to do with it. I have done other dives to depths greater than 100' and have not experienced the same phenomenom. Bottom line, narcosis is always there. It's just a matter of how much of it there is, how much it affects you, and how you handle it. My tunnel vision went away the minute I ascended to about 78 feet.

Semper Safe,

Rick

mikelegurra:
when i was doing the OW there was a girl taking the Advanced. the instructor had a slate he had numbers up to 16 or 20 on a 4x4 (or 4x5) table. as far as i could tell they used it for the deep dive and she had to point to the numbers, which were mixed, and she was timed during the dive and after the dive, on the boat.

is this a skill you have to do on AOW ? is it to test the narcosis effect or is there any other point in this exercise ?
Another one you might see, is being timed tying a shoe at the surface and then at depth, or writing your name on a slate at various intervals while making your descent. I've never done the writing one, but the shoe tying was rather interesting in its differences. Of course I have trouble tying my own shoes at the surface anyway.:wazzup:

S C:
Nitrogen give narcotic effects when under pressure. But what we are interested is at what stage it impairs the diver’s ability to think clearly, which is a contaributing factor for a diver to make a wrong decision, might resulted diver not able to exit water safely.

Yep, this is it. Narcosis doesn't affect the stuff your expecting all that much. A real test is to have to sort through something new at depth. You'd be really suprised just how difficult this can be, even if you don't get narc'd at that depth.

The only way to truly deal with narcosis is to either A) Stay shallow or B) Get rid of the narcotic agent's (O2 and N2). Use He, its good stuff!

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom