Narcosis AM Dive 4/26/14 - Report and Request for Pics/Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HalcyonDaze

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Yesterday I was out on Lemon Drop and Juno with the Narcosis; sadly my GoPro's card got corrupted and it looks like I lost all my footage. :( I'm hoping someone else on the Narcosis ​got video. The lively stuff was at Lemon Drop; as soon as we got down I saw a large lionfish and impaled it on my short spear. Not having a bag, I was carrying it around until one of the other divers pointed out a second, smaller one a few minutes later. Well, I'd jammed the five-prong tip in there to the point where when I went to scrape the dead one off with my knife, the whole tip including the threaded end of the pole came off. About what I should expect from a cheap impulse purchase at a Key Largo discount shop. Guess if I ever go back to teaching college classes I have a new classroom pointer/swagger stick now.

As I was heading to get the spear tip back I heard someone yell; I turned around and saw a 5-6 foot lemon come up behind me, cut around, and then turn on the speared lionfish. Not wanting to get in the way I backed up and the lemon scarfed up the lionfish without any hesitation before swimming off and disappearing. Hope someone got that on camera; I was mega-peeved that my SD card lost that moment (including the audio of my Oh Crap reaction). Hope the shark spat that tip out. We saw a few throughout the dive passing through; at one point I stopped to take some still shots of a nurse shark under a ledge. Later I found out that while I was doing that there were three lemons buzzing my head that I never saw. The main group had some make close passes once they actually got to the Lemon Drop; we overestimated the current and I hit the bingo mark on air and bottom time before getting there.

Juno was less eventful; one of the other boats reported a tiger in the area but we only saw one reef shark before it made off with a spearfisher's stringer and some snappers. No turtles, but I did have a good opportunity to play with my new YS-01 strobe on the camera and get the settings down pat. Got some nicely lit shots of corals and small reef fish, as well as a hurried one of the reef shark and a nice shot of a big lizardfish camped out on the ledge.

Aside from the digital mishap with my SD card not a bad day; ~2-ft seas, near-negligible north current, water temp warming up into the mid/upper 70s in the water column (but still a little colder at the bottom), and viz not great at ~45-50 feet but it beat the crap out of the "good" 20-25 viz I had shore diving Laguna Beach in California last weekend. Don't even get me started on the "balmy" 59-degree water temp and the hike down from and back up to the car; I now remember why I moved back to South Florida. :cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom